Help Please

smerk

Hi there,

As of today my computer has started to randomly turn off, it stays running for about 15-20 minutes and then just clonks out. Im guessing this is due to my motherboard dying (bought it for $40 on ebay and has worked flawlessly till now), or possibly the power supply. I was just hoping that someone on here could confirm what piece of hardware is responsible, so i know what to replace.

Thanks for your help :)
Smerk

4fingerninja

well to test if it the power supply take out that power supply and put it in another machine and start it up. if it turns off then it must be your power supply if not your mobo

smerk

I dont have any other system to test my power supply on. The unit is a Corsair 550w, i cheaped out a little on this one :p haha.
And the Mobo is actually an MSI K9N Neo V3, the one in my sig is an older one.

smerk

Bump.
So is there any way without needing another system or extra parts that i can isolate the problem?

Vizy

Umm...as far as i know, the best thing for you to do is take it a to a mom and pop computer repair shop in your area. They always have psu testers there. Also take your mobo, ask them to test that also. Don't let them talk you into buying some random shit you don't need, just ask them to test it. Even throw down 2 bones as gratuity.

BlackRat

If it's overheating try to use SpeedFan (free) to check temps. And try to see may be it restarts at the same point - like when you open IE for example

oscaryu1

VIP Member
If it's overheating try to use SpeedFan (free) to check temps. And try to see may be it restarts at the same point - like when you open IE for example

+1 on overheating. My hot-glued fan on my backup system fell off, was awfully slow, and finally turned off when IMing.

I'd rather use the BIOS to check out temperatures.

smerk

It doesnt seem to restart on any specific action or point, just after an amount of time. But i will use speedfan and report back later today.

smerk

Ok temps checked, they are all normal. Except the GPU which im not really familiar with temperature wise. It was 53 degrees when it turned off, cpu was below 40 same with core and motherboard. Im guessing its not an overheating problem.

azwebs

Hmm, that seems fine for the GPU to be honest. If it was idling at about 75 and up, I'd think that was too high. . . If your GPU turned off at 53 degrees, then it looks like there is some other problem - a GPU should still be running fine at that.

Maybe a PSU problem? When your computer draws extra power for additional fan speed or processing maybe there is a problem there? To be honest, I don't really have a clue :(

smerk

Im leaning towards a PSU problem now, seeing as if it was the motherboard i would have expected it to completely give out which it hasnt. I guess the only way is for me to take it in to a computer shop and have them test some of my parts!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Have you checked your North Bridge (chipset) temperature? You can find it in bios, also possibly in speedfan or everest. Most of the time its called either system, or board. It can be NB, north bridge, or chipset.

Try resetting CMOS.

Check your ram, be sure one of your sticks are going bad.