Help please

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would not get a Toshiba HDD though, get a Western Digital 3tb. Do you really need that much space?

mistersprinkles

Please don't buy that DEEPCOOL AIO. They are not a good brand. I wouldn't get any AIO honestly. Too many stories of pumps dying (or worse). Just get a large air cooler.
Also, you would be better served with a Gigabyte G1 gaming 1080 than that Zotac. The VRMs run toasty on 1080s and Gigabyte's Windforce cards have the lowest VRM temps of any 1080's/1070's with air coolers on the market (AFAIK). I'm very happy with mine.

I think it's funny that you asked if this PC can stream lol. Of course it can. You can use NVidia's built in streaming/capturing capability and get it all done with minimal system overhead and great ease of use. When you get everything built come back and make a post and we can walk you through how to get the streaming working.

BTW when you do the NVidia driver install you might want to avoid GeForce experience. It's become quite the douchey program making you register and trying to (usually badly) auto optimize games... it's just a headache. The only good thing about it is the driver updates but that can be done manually. Might want to avoid it altogether.

Darren

Staff member
I wouldn't get any AIO honestly. Too many stories of pumps dying (or worse). Just get a large air cooler.

You get to a performance point where air coolers just don't quite cut it and you need to jump to AIO's. In this case I'd agree with you though, air cooler would probably be an easier solution all around.

mistersprinkles

The average person who buys an AIO doesn't need it. That's what I'm saying. The NHD15 performs almost on par with a 240mm AIO. Difference is very small.
I have seen so so many threads over the years about people having their AIO pump bite the dust after 3-5 years. An air cooler is just a piece of metal. If well taken care of it'll last longer than the socket(s) it supports. Decades. Only the fans can fail, and buying a new fan (or new fans) is much cheaper than replacing an entire AIO. Much less of a headache to do as well.

I have never used an AIO, not because I feel uncomfortable with it, but because I don't see the point. I do minor overclocks with very small voltage increases because I never know how long I'm going to be stuck with my current rig, and because overclocking is less necessary today especially on Intel than it was years ago when we were running front side busses and CPU IPC was rather crummy.

Darren

Staff member
The average person who buys an AIO doesn't need it. That's what I'm saying. The NHD15 performs almost on par with a 240mm AIO. Difference is very small.
I have seen so so many threads over the years about people having their AIO pump bite the dust after 3-5 years. An air cooler is just a piece of metal. If well taken care of it'll last longer than the socket(s) it supports. Decades. Only the fans can fail, and buying a new fan (or new fans) is much cheaper than replacing an entire AIO. Much less of a headache to do as well.

I have never used an AIO, not because I feel uncomfortable with it, but because I don't see the point. I do minor overclocks with very small voltage increases because I never know how long I'm going to be stuck with my current rig, and because overclocking is less necessary today especially on Intel than it was years ago when we were running front side busses and CPU IPC was rather crummy.
All valid points and you're right that AIO's are unnecessary in most instances.

I'm just an overclocking nut and my H100 was a gift so I make good use of it. :D If/when it does die though I'll probably splurge for a replacement AIO anyway.

Sjofus

I'm just looking for a cheap pc build. Right now i have the following specs but i need a new one cuz im gonna be moving out soon (school)

• AMD FX-8350
  • GTX 970 MSI TWINFROZOR 4GB
  • HyperX Fury 16 GB 1600MHz
  • MSI 970 Gaming
  • CM Hyper 212 Evo
  • 240GB Kingston SSD
  • Ca 10TB of WD HDD

For some reason my pc won't stream very well all the time. sometimes it works some times it doesn't. So i wanted to build an intel computer cuz i read that they are much much better for streaming

mistersprinkles

Carry your drives and your Hyper 212 over to the new build. Do you still have the Intel mounting hardware for it?
The build you outlined will be fine. Just don't get the deepcool AIO.

mistersprinkles

^Agreed. Still, if he wants to go to Intel from AMD given the current landscape of things I'm all for it. Having said that, RYZEN is probably a more cost effective option if the OP is willing to wait awhile.