Help, Please!!!!!

SuperLative

I need some help with this computer. It runs so slow but it has practically nothing installed onto it. I ran disk defragmenter yesterday but that didn't help at all. I ran all kinds of virus scanners and crap and killed and deleted all the viruses possible. Here is my HijackThis Log. If you can tell me what I can do, it would be great.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msagent\chars\svcfax.exe

Thanks in advance ... (I think it might have to do with svcfax.exe)

B-MAN

cisvc.exe
cidaemon.exe
svcfax.exe
What are these?

Explorer.EXE
i always have explorer.exe in lower case... i had some spyware masking itself as iexplorer so maybe this is similar.

What kind of virus scanner do you have? try turning of auto protect like stuff.

And how long is this install running? (when did you last reinstall?)

B-MAN

cidaemon - cidaemon.exe - Process Information

Process File: cidaemon or cidaemon.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Indexing Service

Description:
cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer to enable for faster file searches.
Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Try stopping the indexing service.

SuperLative

B-MAN said:
cidaemon - cidaemon.exe - Process Information

Process File: cidaemon or cidaemon.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Indexing Service

Description:
cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer to enable for faster file searches.
Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Try stopping the indexing service.

did it.

B-MAN ...

cisvc.exe
cidaemon.exe
svcfax.exe
- I have no clue what those are.

What kind of virus scanner do you have?
- "NoAdware"

And how long is this install running? (when did you last reinstall?)
- Reinstall what? The virus scanner?

B-MAN

NoAdware is a spyware remover?
Don't you have like norton / mcafee / AVG / something else?

btw

NoAdware is a controversial product. It is heavily advertised on the internet as an effective adware removal tool. Our tests indicate differently however. We uncovered a product that was unable to detect real adware on our computer, and instead tried to fool us with "false positives". Unfortunately, some of the adware programs it claimed to detect were actually operating system files and legitimate software, including Apple's Quicktime player. We were extremely disappointed with NoAdware and recommend that you look elsewhere for an effective product.
Source: http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000023.html

cisvc.exe
cidaemon.exe
These 2 are system processes and the other... i don't know... try ending its proces.

And with reinstall i meant the whole pc... like windows or whatever your using

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
cidaemon.exe -> an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer to enable for faster file searches
cisvc.exe -> is used to monitor the memory usage in cidaemon.exe and prevent low memory problems. This is an essential system process and should not be removed.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Spybot works fine for me. It can immunize IE for known threats and it has a memory-resident module that tracks registry changes.

jcline

Here is the process I use and has worked for me every time...

1. Open msconfig Start > Run > msconfig
2. Click on the Startup tab and disable all
3. Reboot
4. Download, install and update Ad-Aware
5. Download winsockfix.exe (just do a google search)
6. Run Ad-Aware and remove all offending critters
7. Double check msconfig to make sure the Startup items are all disabled
8. Reboot

You should notice a performance difference...if for some reason your have no network connectivity, run the winsockfix.exe.

cykx

I had a very bad time with one of those Ad Removal software. It deleted some files from my Internet Explorer and I was forced to download Mozilla, until last night when all hell broke loose and I reinstalled Windows. I think none of those are very accurate, neither are those Registry Cleaners or whatever they are called. The registry cleaners most of the time delete stuff you need from the reg. A machine cant identify things likw we can, it runs of parameters.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Of the entries there the following will prolly not be needed:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msagent\chars\svcfax.exe
And depending on which services the following corresponds to (see services.msc) then you might not need it C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

I always have explorer.exe in lower case... I had some spyware masking itself as iexplorer so maybe this is similar.
Case doesnt matter :)