Help regarding lost files/folder from hard drive. Thanks!

devbru86

I have a laptop hard drive in an external case that I use through a usb port on my new laptop. Ever since I first started using this external case it's been quite screwy as it disconnects very easily if moved, and always comes up with error messages stating something like " Error with this drive G:/, the files could not be saved and some data may have been lost. This message came up frequently, almost ever time I used it, but nothing ever happened, and I used my files normally. The other day this same message came up, but this time repeatedly. I tried to access one folder on the drive, specifically the one with all of my music and videos, and it appears that all of the files have disappeared. It's about 100 gb of data. When I right click on the actual external drive, it says that 120gb is still in use on the hard drive (which would have been majority in that certain folder) but when I right click on that folder, it says 0 bytes. Have all 100 gb worth of files been completely deleted, or is my computer just not seeing them right now for some reason?? Is there a program I can use to repair this, or should I bring this into a computer repair shop to see if they can recover the data. Any help is appreciated!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the drive from the external case and get an adapter for it to see if the case is bad. Also run a diagnostic on the drive.