Help selecting gaming Laptop vs. desktop

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by Captainlonestar, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Captainlonestar

Captainlonestar New Member

Looking for a gaming rig that can play through my LG 4K Smart Tv. I’m looking around $1,000 preferably closer to $900. I’ve been scoping out the Acer Predator laptop, heard some complaints about overheating issues. There’s an older generation model on amazon for $943, and a newer generation model for $1,088. Was wondering what the difference was. Both have 144hz screens. I’m not interested in building a computer. Looking to play red dead redemption 2 and sekiro on this rig. Any ideas? Recommendations? Concerns?

2. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Ya got some links?

3. Captainlonestar

4. Captainlonestar

5. revolution221

revolution221 Member

As the owner of both a gaming laptop and desktop, here's my personal rule of thumb
    If you travel a lot (like for business, leisure, etc), then the gaming laptop will be a better buy
    All other cases you are better off with a gaming desktop, they are simply cheaper, more powerful, and run cooler (My alienware laptop's GPU regularly hits 90c which apparently is within normal limits, even after cooling/new thermal paste)
    Overheating is common on gaming laptops (especially cheaper ones without a good cooling system) but they are still functional and within normal limits-still, they can literally hurt to touch at times they can get so hot

6. Captainlonestar

Do you have recommendations on prebuilt desktops in the $600-$1000 range on Black Friday sales?

7. _Kyle_

_Kyle_ Well-Known Member

It's hard to say what'll be available on Black Friday.

8. Captainlonestar