Help Setting up 6.1

Cpetrie

My brother just gave me a 6.1 home theater system (4 satellites, center and sub). It was originally hooked up to his TV, but he has a cable that comes from the Digital Audio Control box, then a splicer that combines the Red and White cables into one cable, and then plugs into the back of my PC. I plugged it into the green, "line in" port. It seems like all the speakers except the front left and right are significantly quieter. What do I need to do?

Cpetrie

In addition, I've noticed that during Rage Against the Machine's, "Bulls On Parade" the first guitar part (w/ wah wah) that precedes De La Rocha's "I'm ready now!" gets cut out completely, it is not even present faintly. This can be resolved by pulling the cable partially out of the back of the computer. I proceeded to play Farcry 2, when I noticed that a ton of sounds were not being played, such as vehicle engine noises and well as vehicle crashing sounds. Also, certain gunshots (only from the enemies) will randomly not be audible, my gunshots, however, are heard crystal clear.

Cpetrie

And more, if I open up my driver-supplied audio options (not the XP ones), and adjust the Balance all the way to the left, the left speak gets loud and the right speaker gets quiet. That's normal, however, if I move it all the way to the right, I have absolutely no sound, not even from the rear speakers. In addition, I can run an audio demo in these options, the right speaker lights up on screen (should play sound as well) and is silent. Then the left speaker lights up and plays sound fine, however, the subwoofer also plays at this time (when it shouldn't), and then it goes through the rest of the speakers and none of them make noise. The only one that responds to the audio test it the front left, which also plays the subwoofer. On another note, when I plug the cable into my computer, my audio options (once again, the Realtek one) pops up and asks me to choose what I plugged in, the only "out" options are front, rear, center/subwoofer and side. I choose "front out" usually; however, if I choose rear out and do the sound test again, it does the same exact thing, except when the rear left speaker lights up the front left and sub play the sound again.

Last edited:
i have pretty much the same setup as you with 5.1 4 speakers a center and a sub, but my whole left side is out, i think its just because of the splitter i dont know though i just got used to it

Cpetrie

I resolved this problem by switch over to digital from RCA. There are still some weird quirks in testing, but all appears functional now.