Help setting up new computer

shawsofhell

I am getting a new computer in the next few days and it doesnt come with a CD drive in it or windows software(I have these both already at home). I am pretty good with PCs already and know how to hook up a CD drive normally but since there is no windows software what do I do to connect my CD drive and then install windows?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Open the box
2. Set jumpers as needed
3. Physically install the CD drive
4. Turn the computer on :)

shawsofhell

Ok I've got the computer and my cd drive is connected i then went into my setup and told the computer to boot from the cd drive first. Saved this setting then rebooted the computer but then it said something like "Reboot and select bootable device or insert bototabl media into device and press any key" I got the exact same message for my XP and then ME cd I am in the proccess of creating 1.44" boot disks for XP should this work or does anyone have anyother ideas?

shawsofhell

Ok I downloaded the file from microsoft but when i run the program i get this error:

C:\DOCUME~1\shaw\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMO\makeboot.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

What should i do i'm stuck!!!!

samuelhii_mei

in that case, you can try to get a boot disk.
create a boot disk using window.
use that disk to boot your comp. remembe the installation of win xp cannot run in dos!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Saved this setting then rebooted the computer but then it said something like "Reboot and select bootable device or insert bototabl media into device and press any key" I got the exact same message for my XP and then ME cd
Both the WindowsXP and WindowsME CDs should be bootable and if you've got the system booting off the CD before the HDDs then you should be booting. Scratches?

in that case, you can try to get a boot disk.
He's trying to do that

create a boot disk using window.
Thats a different type of boot disk and wont work because it doesnt load the CDROM drivers