Help to Upgrade pc and make it run beter

NickBergard

Hello All i have a really old pc for my kids, but it is really very slow and lagging in most aspects. I thought of buying a new one but then thought why now try upgrade it?
It has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 and rest are below so u can see whats in there. I was think to change processor, Graphics card and install an ssd. Any thoughts would really be appreciated. this is what i am thinking to change to.
FX-8370E
GTX 1060 6GB
850 EVO 250GB

6332d4af80c1a8e32501b4330e817ae2.png

https://gyazo.com/6332d4af80c1a8e32501b4330e817ae2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Currently it only has a dual core cpu in it and that is why its slow. Adding an SSD would definitely help If its to game then depending on the games they play you could probably go with the FX 6000 series or the FX 8000 series cpu's which have 6 and 8 cores respectively. Just make sure you update the bios to latest version before changing out cpu. You'll need either version 1401 or 1801 depending on what cpu you go with. You'll have to search ebay for the cpu as AM3 cpu's are discontinued and not sold anymore.

NickBergard

ty so much i was thinking the FX-8370E , i have never done bios laughs but will look around. and i update bios before i remove old cpu and install new one right? Sorry i am new to this but really want to give it a go

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You might have better luck finding the FX-8350 as it was a much more popular and faster cpu. FX-6300 or FX-6350 would be the next option like I said depending on the games played. You are wanting the gtx1060 so they wouldn't be too demanding.

beers

Staff member
What's your actual budget for this endeavor?

I had a 8350 in 2012, it was okay but it's getting pretty antiquated these days. Plus you'll probably need a larger cooler if you go that route as those ran pretty hot. If you have a few extra dollars the Ryzen 3300X is a pretty good value play, but would require upgrading the motherboard and buying DDR4 RAM as well.