HELP! TROUBLE with Network. PLESE View!

Holiday

HELP! TROUBLE with Network permissions. PLEASE View!

I have a network between a HP running XP Home sp2 and a DELL running XP PRO sp2.
I am using a Ethernet crossover cabel. I have turnd off all fire walls. ping works from both computers, File and printer Sharing is set.

I can access from the hp all shared files, printers and drives on the DELL no problem, but when I try accessing the HP from the DELL I get this message
[\\Hp is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.] :confused: These people also have the famous XP Home Logon failure

Last edited:

jcnoernberg

Holiday said:
I have a network between a HP running XP sp2 and a DELL running XP sp2.
I am using a Ethernet crossover cabel. I have turnd off all fire walls. ping works from both computers, and file sharing is set I think at least that's what network setup wiz told me if there is a manual way to turn it on I would like to know.

I can access from the hp all shared files, printers, drives on the DELL no problem, but when I try the HP from the DELL I get this message
[\\Hp is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.] :confused:

here's some screen shots :cool:

Try right clicking on your C:\ drive, goto properties, then sharing... share the drive out (or whatever directory you want shared)... ping the other computer to make sure you're connected.

Holiday

Try right clicking on your C:\ drive, goto properties, then sharing... share the drive out (or whatever directory you want shared)... ping the other computer to make sure you're connected.
I have already done that and it still does not work.

Last edited:

randruff

It wouldnt hurt to try and run the network wizard again and make sure both computers are in the same workgroup.

gummo

I know you may have tried this, but it is worth a shot. Turn on simple file sharing on both machines.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

If you are getting an error that the user cannot access the files because they are not an administrator make sure that the user is an admin of both PCs. Then check to make sure that security on what ever you are sharing enables everyone full access or at least the user trying to gain access. Hope this helps.

Gummo

Holiday

Turn on simple file sharing on both machines.
The use simple file sharing check box is only available in XP Professional not in XP Home I am running XP Home thanks for the anyway.

gummo

Sorry about the XP Pro thing. Didn't read closely enough. Here is another option you may want to try on the PC you cannot access.

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, follow these steps.

2. Before you see the Windows XP logo, hold down the F8 key.

3. Select Safe Mode.

4. Login in as Administrator. You'll get a warning about running in Safe Mode. Click Yes.

5. Find the folder whose permissions you wish to change, right click on that folder, and select Properties.

6. Voila. You can change all the properties of the folder just like you would in Windows 2000.

I doubt that this will help but figured it was worth a shot. I'm going to go back and actually look at the specific errors when I am not at work and hopefully be able to help. Oh one more thing that I just thought of. Don't know if this is an option in XP home, but I had a firend that had a similar problem and he fixed it by uninstalling the file and print sharing on both machines and reinstalling it. He may have done this on Pro since it is designed for networking while Home is not.

Gummo

Last edited:

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
on the HP, add a new user account, in the username put \\dell\user (where: dell=your dell computer name, and user=the account you logged into on the dell which has admin rights) make the password the same. log off/on the dell, then try and access the HP.

Holiday

on the HP, add a new user account, in the username put \\dell\user (where: dell=your dell computer name, and user=the account you logged into on the dell which has admin rights) make the password the same. log off/on the dell, then try and access the HP.
Account names cannot contain the following characters: \ / [ ] : ; | < > + = , ? * :(

Holiday

I have a permissions problem

I have a permissions problem and I no how to fix it in Win xp Pro, I go to [Control Panel \ Administrative tools \ Local Security Policy] and I can fix the problem. But the only problem is in [Control Panel \ Administrative tools] on Win XP HOME there is on [Local Security Policy] ICON, I need help please These people also have the famous XP Home Logon failure

G_me

do u have an antivirus like pc cillin(i think the firewall part ) ? because i know that it tried to block me when i was setting up my home network of 5 computers :D

Holiday

do u have an antivirus like pc cillin(i think the firewall part ) ? because i know that it tried to block me when i was setting up my home network of 5 computers
all firewalls are turnd off

neochivers

banned
i have the same prob wif two dells a 2400 (host) and a XPs 500 (client) the host can acess all but the client cand i am usin a hub (so i can upgrade to more comps in the future), witch 1 is the host on urs? help me to now please

Holiday

well I don't think I have a host, well I don't really know what a host is, maybe I do.
the internet connection is on the HP. neochivers can you share the internet like me, just curies.