HELP! what kind of graphics card / processor? HELP!

maxrwh

Hello.

I have been searching all over the net for help with this problem and never got a good answer. I even contacted Dell, and they couldnt help me either. So, I decided to join this forum and maybe be lucky enough for someone to help me! :D

I have a Dell Dimension E521 with following specs:
  • Dell Dimension E521
  • XP Media Center Edition
  • AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3500+
  • 999 MHz
  • 1GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce 7300 Graphics Card

I am investing in both a new Graphics Card & Processor. I was told in many forums that not all Graphics Cards / Processors will let my PC run efficiently. I know that my system is surely not top, but I would like to make the best out of it- especially while playing my flight simulator, which needs a relatively good processor and g-card to work correctly. What can I buy?

Thanks!
Maxrwh

maxrwh

Hi-

Thanks. What kind of Graphics Card would you think is the best? Is it easy to install? I have really never opened a computer before. ;)

RoBo07

You will need to open the case. The power supply is the the unit where the power cord plugs into the machine there will be a white sticker on the side of it.

RoBo07

Hopefully not. That will be the voltage. I know a dimension 5000 has a 305 watt one and if that is the case with yours you will be quite limited by what you can upgrade to.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Something like a Radeon x1600 or a Geforce 7600GT should run just fine without any other upgrade. However, I think the default Dell power supplies are about 300w and around 20A on the 12v rail...

maxrwh

thx alot.... i will start looking and keep you informed. do you think a better processor would be a good idea?

RoBo07

No not unless you were to make the move to c2d which would mean you would at least upgrade your motherboard.