[Help] What should a modern 'for school' laptop have/require?

OCall

I'm going to buy a laptop for school use in college, but I'm not sure how to choose the right laptop, I know that the minimum amount of RAM should be at least 2GB and I also heard that i3, i5, i7's are good to use too. My friend also told me that Lenovo is a very good and trusted brand for laptops but what else should I look for? What other brands/manufactures for laptop are trustworthy? main question is what to look for so that it isn't going to be 'OUT' in a few years. Thanks a lot!

Troncoso

VIP Member
Apple, ASUS, Lenovo, Sony, upper model Toshiba, Samsung*.

Any given college normally has minimum recommendations that are something like this:

Dual core processor
2gb RAM
250gb Hard Drive
128mb shared video memory

Though, I will tell you that is like the most basic laptops you can find these days will more than meet these specs. My recommendations for a decent computer:

second generation i3 or higher (or AMD A6 or higher)
4gb ram
320gb hard drive
512 shared video memory**

Really, as long as you take care of the laptop and do a bit of preventative maintenance, then it'll last no problem.

*Samsung is rather new to the laptop scene, but I've not heard anything bad about them so far.
**The graphics memory is optional. It really depends on what your purpose is for the laptop besides school work.

OCall

Thanks a lot for listing those it'll really help me a lot to find a laptop.

I'm not going to be doing much besides school work, maybe downloading movies or something but nothing else other than that.