Help With 1st Time Build!!

Akosarz

Hey guys,

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I wanted to build a computer that could handle the latest games well (mostly WOW and Crysis). I will be doing some video editing as well. I don't need anything crazy by any means and I like the idea of being able to upgrade it down the road if need be. I was thinking about going with these parts:

MOBO

CPU

RAM

Graphics Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Case

Hard Drive

Monitor

Media

Budget is 900 max. Thanks in advance for your help.:D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are wanting to be able to upgrade it later then wait until the new bulldozer mobo's (am3+) and cpu's come out.

Akosarz

Will the new processors be outside of my budget? I really have no idea...

My desktop computer is in the dumpster so I don't really have anything right now. Kinda wanted to just go ahead and get something unless it's really worth waiting for the new processors (assuming they are in line with my budget??).

If anyone could take a look at the parts that I put together and let me know if they are compatible with each other or if there is something that you would change around that would help me out a bunch.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Manakore

I'm not sure what their pricing will be, but they will have 4 core 6 core and 8 core processors. 4 cores being amazing and starting around $150 is my guess.

Stretch1414

I'm new to this forum, but I do know a bit about computers. And one thing I noticed, was that your monitor was one of your most expensive parts. Although I know monitors can be much more expensive, if you wanted to save like 20 or 30 bucks to maybe spend elsewhere, you could drop that easily and still get a good build. I don't know how attached you are to it or anything like that, but I just thought that modifying that might help if you wanted to upgrade another aspect and still stay within your budget. And what's up Manakore?! ha

Manakore

I'm new to this forum, but I do know a bit about computers. And one thing I noticed, was that your monitor was one of your most expensive parts. Although I know monitors can be much more expensive, if you wanted to save like 20 or 30 bucks to maybe spend elsewhere, you could drop that easily and still get a good build. I don't know how attached you are to it or anything like that, but I just thought that modifying that might help if you wanted to upgrade another aspect and still stay within your budget. And what's up Manakore?! ha

Hey, Joel?

Akosarz

Thanks for the video card suggestion-that makes sense.

So these new 4 core AMD processors will be much more powerful than the current quad core ones available?

Here's the PSU that I had in mind.

Stretch- I hadn't really thought of changing out the monitor and I am certainly not partial to it. I just scrolled thru rather quickly and picked it out for its sale price and size. I could possibly tweak the build in that regard.

I guess the real question is whether it's worth waiting it out for the new processors. What's a good estimate as to how long this build will last me (assuming I upgrade components as time goes on) in the aim to keep up with the latest games, etc?

Akosarz

Mihir- only your middle link works. So, a 500W PSU should do it?

DewCorps- I'm sort of set on AMD- don't really know why lol. I just like 'em

Dewcorps

If you are going the amd route, amd is releasing a new processor line called "bulldozer" soon. I dont know too much about it, but it looks interesting enough to check out. you may want to research it to see if it is worth waiting for though.

Akosarz

Oh-ok. Now they work. Don't know what happened there.

Why do you suggest those PSU's? Was there anything wrong with the one that I chose?

The one I had seems to be tried and true with a bunch of good reviews. Just curious.