Help with an old Compaq Presario 5000 series

DistortedPIka

Hello. First of all, allow me to mention that this is my very first post on these forums, and I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section :/ Mods and admins, please feel free to move this thread if necessary. Also, Sorry if the images I have provided are too large, if it is more convenient, i can remove the image tags and leave them as URL links?

So I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 series.
Processor: AMD Athlon Model 1700
RAM: 256MB SyncDRAM (Originally, but I am not sure if my stepdad has upgraded it)
HDD: 40GB UltraDMA (Again, this is the original but I am unsure if it's been upgraded
Graphics Card: nVidia NV11 MX200
OS: Originally Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 5.0, however there are complications, to be elaborated.

My problem: I cannot remember how the computer failed, but I know it was a couple of years ago. Now, when the PC is turned on, I get this: (in order of what happens on screen)

Compaq Logo:
4rss2p.jpg

Boot Order:
23sc70g.jpg

Compaq Logo (Again):
4rss2p.jpg

Boot Order (Also again):
23sc70g.jpg

Compaq Logo (A third time):
4rss2p.jpg

Error:
nd7fc3.jpg

This is what happens when I boot the computer with Compaq Quickrestore (Disc 1) inserted:

Compaq Logo:
4rss2p.jpg

No Idea What Any of this Means:
2ir7wxz.jpg

Compaq Quickrestore:
2cggges.jpg

And it Proceeds With This Error:
2efp0m8.jpg

I also have fresh hardware at my disposal:
Two 40GB HDD's
213gb9e.jpg
(Western Digital:
wiombm.jpg
) (Hitachi:
34nmxcj.jpg
).

Eight RAM Boards (Four of which are 512MB, the other four are 256MB)
5jzp75.jpg

And 3 RS components, unfortunately I haven't a clue what each of them are
vsfbk6.jpg

okohe1.jpg

ehmz5h.jpg

Any suggestions and help is appreciated, thank you in advance!!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On some of the old pc's there was an option in the bios that was labeled boot virus detection or something similar. Look in the bios to see if that is enabled. If so, disable it.

DistortedPIka

I've had a proper dig at it, and surprisingly there is absolutely no BIOS to be seen...:/ Only the hardware setup (available through typing F12 on the Compaq logo) is available, and everything on that looks normal

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
hardware setup is the bios. Go back in there and see if there is a option to reset back to defaults and try booting up.