Help with building new comp

cweber21

New Member
Current system from CPUID:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz
Abit GD8 775 socket Motherboard (i915-ICH6)
2048 MB RAM DDR Dual Channel
Saphire Vapor X Radeon HD 5770
Antec 400W power supply
80Gb western digital harddrive

I want to keep my graphics card and upgrade everything else. So far I've been leaning toward the combo deal on newegg:
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Combo price: 495

I need a new power supply and case to help keep better cooling. My current case is horrible at cooling. Any suggestions on PSU, cases, and whether or not I should get a new hard drive?
Any and all help would be great, I'm not very experienced in this area.

Thanks
 
ON cases try the Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black, that should keep it cool, and if you can't afford this one go for the 902,

Firstly whats your budget, i guess around $700-900, you already have a good GPU, and good to see you are keeping it, saves a bit of money.
Perhaps try this mobo Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard,

But that combo looks good,

Defo get the tripple channel DDR3 4GB and above, really decide what speed you want and go for it. obviously the higher the better, but within budget.

About hard drive, i am surprised that you only have the 80 Gig one, definately upgrade, you do not say what it is, i guess an old one. so you have two choices buy SSD, or go for something like WD 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache, 6G/s, or roughly similar ones.

sorry to be vague but you don't really say the budget so can;t give you link to the exact products. Hope my vague comment helps a bit.
 
No that is actually very helpful. I am trying to stay around 700 to 800 since I already have the GPU. Yes my hard drive is an old one, never really stored very much but the speed of the drive is slow. Thanks for the advice
 
second that of Analizer, agree on almost all things, but i think my disagreement lies in preferences not quality or performance issuis
 
Antec Twelve Hundred 750 Blue Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Item #:N82E16811129063
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$239.95
Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822136161
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$47.99
Combo: ASUS P6X58D-E ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131641
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Item #: N82E16819115202
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$494.98
1Intel Bunny People Keytag
Item #:N82E16800995083
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy free
Grand Total:$782.92

I've got teh GPU and RAM covered. How does this look?
 
Make sure you choose a decent brand for the PSU, Antec is a good brand like you had in your previous build but 400W is a little low for your new build. I'd say get something around 600W and you should be just fine.
 
Back
Top