Help With building new PC

LiefChou

New Member
Hey I'm building a pc and I wanted to know what you think of it so far.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

Mobo: P45- $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157133

CPU- Q6600- $185 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018

RAM- x4 1GB ddr2 800mhz- $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227139

PSU- 500watt Xcilo goodpower- $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005

HD- 320GB SATA 3.0GB/s- $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145213

Case- Antec 900- $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

HS&fan- 92 rifle- $15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233001

OS- Vista 64bit SP1- $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116483



Now I need help choosing a GPU. I have about $150 to spend. What card should I choose, I don't have much clue of what it the best for price out of all the new cards. I was wondering can that mobo do SLI? If so maybe x2 9600gt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134047) whatever you think would be best for the price.

Is that OS ok?

Also my mobo said 1066 default ram, will my 800 be ok?

Thanks for you help :)
 
Ok I'll get that OS.

The Ram, the one I have is cheaper, and I'm trying to squeeze every penny.

How much bigger? I've heard that 500watts would be enough most of the time.

My pc will be for gaming. My budget is about 800 dollars.
 
OK, that ram will be alright, then,

Get a 600W PSU.

Once that is done, it will be a good gaming system.
 
Read reviews...

I was really worried about getting this case without there being a prior review, but I can say now that I am happy I went with it. The case is very well made, and at a fair price. It also affords good ventilation, with the advantage of having the entire front panel acts as a filter for the front fan (which is not included, but the case has ample mounting room for one). I have only very minor problems with this case, and would absolutely buy another.
 
Ok that looks like a good build, but the only problem is I don't think you worked the OS into your budget, so I can't really manage that =\. But I might switch out for your PSU and Mobo suggestions and stuff. Do you think that the default HS&fan is alright for the Q6600, or should I go with the fan I put? I think I might also switch to that case if you think it's cool enough, which seems like it might be.

So I'll put a the list up in a second so far.
 
Mobo: P45- $95 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128347

CPU- Q6600- $185 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115018

RAM- x4 1GB ddr2 800mhz- $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227139

PSU- OCZ GameXStream- $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002&Tpk=OCZ+700w

HD- 320GB SATA 3.0GB/s- $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145213
Case- Elite 330- $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

HS&fan- 92 rifle- $15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233001

OS- Vista 64bit SP1- $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116483

$730-$115= $615.

So thats like $235 left for changes and GPU.

Should I go with the cardd recomended earlier? If I weant with that card how much of an improvement would I see over lets say, a 8800gt (I mean if I won't notice that much I on't mind saving 100 bucks).

Or how does this card work against lets say a GTX 260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127361)?

Or how much better is it then like a 9800GTX?

Or how would it be against even 2 9600gts or 2 8800gts in SLI?

Sorry if I'm a little fixated on this, there's just so many options and I'm poor =[

Thanks for all you help!
 
Oh they're not? my nad, I'll try fix them later.

So Raedons are the best ones too choose from right now then? I might get that 4850, safe a bit of money on it in comparison.
 
Vista is garbage. Stick with Windows XP as if your life depended on it.

Use higher-clocked dual-core processors, as opposed to slower-clocked quads, unless the computer will spend most of its time doing rendering or compression, unattended, for hours at a time. Games are dual-threaded at most. And a Kentsfield core? The rest of us have moved on to 45nm, so please try to keep up! The Wolfdale E8k series is your friend.

Your choice of motherboard is highly questionable. I see absolutely no reason to get a mobo that has slots for both DDR2 and DDR3. As for the brand... ick. You should probably consider something more along the lines of the Asus P5K Pro.

Anything above 2GB of RAM is obscene and unnecessary unless you're using Vista, which you shouldn't be doing in the first place. You should be spending money on faster RAM, not more RAM. That's what DDR2-1066 is for.

"Gaming computer" is synonymous with "WD Raptors in striped RAID"

Since this is a gaming computer, you'll want dual graphics cards in either SLI or Crossfire. The choice of which one to go with is a complicated one to make, and it depends on many factors, the most important one being the motherboard (those with nVidia chipsets only support nVidia SLI and those with Intel chipsets apparently only support ATI Crossfire). It also seems to me that DDR2-1066 is supported on mobos with Intel chipsets more commonly than on those with nVidia chipsets. A rough guideline to follow is that if you want to be somewhat conservative about your expenditures, it's best to go with DDR2-1066 and Crossfire, whereas if you are a bit more enthusiastic, go with DDR3-1333 and SLI.


Edit: Dual-core chips, DDR2, and ATI cards are not only less expensive, but also less power-consuming, than thier quad-core, DDR3, and nVidia counterparts. This allows you to spend less money on a power supply.
 
Last edited:
Well the only reason I'm going with Vista is because I like dirx10.

As for the processor, what if I go E7200 and over clock it? Maybe save a little cash with that if Quad isn't needed. Would the HSF I have now work?

Ok what if I got the mobo you recomend but open box? Does everything come with the open box still? Save some more cash.

I'm not going to RAID.

If I did these changes, I could probably go 2 3870's in crossfire then. Would this be a better settup?
 
DirectX 10 is not a valid excuse for inflicting Vista on your helpless and unsuspecting computer.

You can try overclocking an E7k-series chip, but I cannot guarantee success. A 25% overclock on something other than a Celeron/Sempron usually requires something a bit more fancy than standard air cooling.

Open box is an option. I wasn't recommending that particular motherboard, just using it as an example.

I'd probably pick dual 4850s over dual 3870s, or even dual 3870 X2s, because refinements in the architectures and manufacturing processes are likely to give a better performance/cost ratio. I haven't tested this, though.
 
What exactly is wrong with vista?

What about with the HSF I listed earlier?

Which particular Mobo would you recommend?

The problem is 2 4750's would top my budget, so I can't really do that =\
 
Back
Top