Help with choosing an LCD monitor!

loui1410

Hello,

This is my first time buying an LCD monitor. I need help with choosing what's the best for me.
I'm looking for a 17" monitor, with 4ms - 8ms response time, and I need it for games, movies, and also to be comfortable in reading texts. (I know it's not about the repsonse time only, but I mean that I need one these two ranges only)

I found two 17" LCD Samsung monitors, one with 4ms response time and the other 8ms, of course with other good specifications exchange for a fair price:
The 730BF and 730B .
And there's also the L1732TQ by LG.
(Click on the links for specifications)

The questions is: is there any difference between 4ms and 8ms? 2nd, what is the recommended constract ratio for me? The difference between the LG and Samsung is that the LG has 1400:1 constract ratio, though the Samsung has 700/600:1.

What are the specifications that I need to consider before buying an LCD and how much do they need to be? Are those good monitors for me? If yes, which is the best? If not, please gimme some more offers.

Those monitors' prices are about 335-380 USD (In my country), so this is my budget.

Thanks in advance!

bigsaucybob

I dont think you would see a difference between 4ms and 8ms.

I would'nt get the LG becuase I personally like monitors with black casing.

Charles_Lee

go with samsung lcd monitor,, they are worth trusting...

although if you can save some money by buying a lg monitor, go with that one...

i bought a samsung lcd 19' monitor DVI support for $430 CAN,
although i don't see any difference in quility,
i just bought it, because i heard it is good... about $50 more expencive than normal samsung 19' monitors...

so, its up to you, what you wish to have, but any cheap lcd monitor is good

celsdogg

i bought a 19" aopen from newegg for $270 with a $50 rebate which i received last week. 700:1, 12ms response. i play battlefield 2 a lot, and it is excellent, no ghosting or anything

the contrast ratio is the difference between the dark colors and lighters colors that the display produces. like how dark and realistic the black is.

the higher the better, 700:1 is better than 600:1, etc.

celsdogg

o yeah, and pay special attention to the manufacturers dead pixel policies. a stuck pixel can be fixed, a dead one is, well, dead. and dead pixels are annoying

my aopen came with 1 stuck pixel and no dead pixels, and the stuck one is fine now :)