Help with computer graphics problems !

Jimbothewiz

Hi,
Now I have to admit I am no computer genius and could do with some help. I have a dell computer with a Pentium 4 2.55 GHz (or there about, i will have to make sure) processor with 512 DDR Ram, an 80 GB hard drive and a ATI Radeon 9800. Now my problem is that my computer seems to have great trouble running some programs and games and I was wondering if any one could give me any advice. I have updated the graphic card driver and tried turning a lot of background applications off to no avail. The problem is with a program called WYSIWYG by cast software and I thought it may be the program itself but a mate of mine has the same thing on his laptop and it runs much faster. Also on Jedi Academy I have to leave it at the lowest settings and even them there are still problems. If anyone can help I would be very grateful and if you need any more information just ask and I will trey and find it out. :)

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
If i'm not mistaken Dell computers come with Integrated Radeon 9800, not an actuall portable Radeon 9800...that means that it uses the system memory.

Having a portable GFX card has a great advantage because of much greater video memory B/W. Unified memory still requires a frame buffer. All digital graphics require the use of a frame buffer.

The frame buffer is where the information that is displayed on the screen is stored. The frame represents the screen and buffer means it's a chunk of reusable memory. The frame buffer is a chunk of memory to store what is displayed on the screen. ;)

Jimbothewiz

By intergrated do you mean part of the motherboard because mine has a seperate card. Just out of interest what would people recomend upgradeing. the graphics card or more ram or even the proccessor?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends what you are tyring to do as well as the system's specs as running an uberfast video card with a setup wont benifit much. Your 9800 isnt horribly obsolete so you'll prolly benifit most from more memory :)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Jimbothewiz said:
By intergrated do you mean part of the motherboard because mine has a seperate card. Just out of interest what would people recomend upgradeing. the graphics card or more ram or even the proccessor?

I must of been thinking of Packard Bell :eek: