Help with corrupted HD

JohnC

Need advice here. (I am a rookie so bare with me)

I Maxtor 250gb SATA HD failure, it would get to the blue windows screen and freeze up. Sometimes I could hear the HD clicking inside.

So...

I had installed two new WD 500gb SATA HDD's, and did a full restore with my recovery disks. I had everything including software uploaded and up to date. I ran the WD software and mirrored C drive to D for a backup.

She ran like a new Swiss watch until...

I got the bright idea to try one last time to get my pics/docs off that bad HD.

I turned off my pc, unplugged the cord, hooked it up and then rebooted.

I got the same clicking and all, so I shut down, unplugged the power and removed the HD.

Upon restart, I had the same problem I had with the old bad HD minus the clicking.

It got to the blue Windows XP welcome screen and froze.

I tried rebooting numerous times and unplugging the C drive hoping it would boot off the mirrored D drive, but it didn’t.

So I did a clean restore again, but to the backup drive and booted up.

That worked except for a factory bloat ware (Norton antivirus) won't uninstall, so I can't load McAfee on until its gone.

So I plugged up the HD that gets to the blue screen and rebooted. It starts and runs only when the other drive is hooked up. It shows most of everything normal except my desktop picture is gone and some of the later programs, along with some startup programs not loading and giving errors - something like windows installer error or not found - can't recall.

So what the heck did I mess up and what to do to save that other new HD and not have to restore it and reload all my software again?

How did that bad HD screw up my good HD's?

How can I uncorrupt or fix the C drive so I don't lose my photography work and have to reinstall all my software again?

PC info:

WinXP Media
Sony Viao
2gb ram
2 500gb WD SATA HDD's
P4 3.4ghz

MixedLogik

Run CHKDSK on CMD. See if that fixes any bad sectors

Start/Run/CHKDSK

Next, Download SpeedFan

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Go to HDD Health, and see if your HDD is in a poor state, If not, come back here.

It appears also, that you tried booting from a bad drive, and accesing files via that drive to another drive, and It corrupted that drive itself.

It has happend to me before, catatrosphic mistake.

If you have a USB External HDD, I reccommend getting as many non-corrupted files, and save them/back up them to the HDD.

Last edited: