Help with different OS options

jkrobs

Dear all,

I really could do with some help,

I have a small business, I currently use a Chromebook ( Lenovo duet ). I was using the Chromebook at first for emails, and web searching...but later on I required the use of Google office suite. docs, sheets etc.

My Chromebook simply cannot keep up with these tasks anymore.

I have decided to purchase a new computer, but I decided I don't want to buy another chrome OS computer, so instead, I will purchase a Mac or Microsoft surface.

I have never owned a Mac, the last time I owned a Microsoft computer was back in 2009 I believe, it was windows 7 and a Compaq laptop which broke down after 2 years. ( Boot up issue )

I'm a little hesitant about buying another Windows computer as I would like it to last me at least 5 years if possible.

I also suffer from mild dyslexia ( Possibly readers might notice from my forum post ) so I'm not sure which OS would be better for me?

I will need the new computer for

1. Web research
2. Listening to music
3. word, excel
4. calendar
5. some video editing ( content creation )
6. emails
7. PDF document

I have a few more questions, sorry if these questions seem silly

1. Does windows 11 still require antivirus software?
2. What are the most common problems with windows, is the blue screen of death as they use to call it, still around?
3. is windows 11 best purchased with 8 GB of ram? 4 GB is not enough?
4. Which type of processor would be best? I don't understand Intel 12 gen vs AMD.

as for MACS I have no idea.

I have heard they are very reliable.

1. Can I get office for MAC? or does MAC have any word software?
2. Does mac come with any free video editing software?
3. Does Mac require antivirus?

I have so many more questions, I just don't understand what would be best for me.

I would like something which will last me a long time, at least over 5 years or more.

Thank you and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

thank you

Jimmy

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Compaq laptop which broke down after 2 years. ( Boot up issue )
That was your mistake, HP/Compaq has terrible build quality. Also back then regular hard drives died fairly often, which was probably part of your boot issue.
I'm a little hesitant about buying another Windows computer as I would like it to last me at least 5 years if possible.
If you buy a decent brand/model I don't see why you wouldn't get with today's technology.

In answers to your questions above...

1. Windows has came with it's own virus software known as windows defender since Windows Vista/7 days, although it wasn't very good back then. For the average user, Windows Defender now will be okay for them. If you run just windows defender just make sure you scan your system with Malwarebytes which is free every few weeks. There are some decent free antivirus programs out there still.

2. Yes BSOD's are still around, they may not be as frequent as they used to be though. Computers are not full proof, any issue may cause a blue screen such as failing hardware, faulty driver, boot failure, corrupt OS.

3. 16gb should be the minimum these days, definitely don't want only 4gb and sometimes 8gb isn't enough.

4. You should get a quad core cpu with at least 2ghz. I would recommend Intel over AMD these days.

I would also highly recommend getting one with an SSD drive instead of a regular mechanical hard drive. An SSD will make your system boot up so much faster and accessing programs and such will be much faster. You may want upwards of a 512GB or a 1TB NVME drive depending on your storage needs.

Are you looking for a laptop or something like a desktop? You'll get more years out of a desktop then you will a laptop. You can easily get 8 years out of a desktop anymore.

As far as Mac's go, I really couldn't tell you about them as I don't use them.

Hopefully this helps some.

Darren

Staff member
1. Does windows 11 still require antivirus software?
2. What are the most common problems with windows, is the blue screen of death as they use to call it, still around?
3. is windows 11 best purchased with 8 GB of ram? 4 GB is not enough?
4. Which type of processor would be best? I don't understand Intel 12 gen vs AMD.

as for MACS I have no idea.

I have heard they are very reliable.

1. Can I get office for MAC? or does MAC have any word software?
2. Does mac come with any free video editing software?
3. Does Mac require antivirus?
1. Not really, built in Defender is fine.
2. This is a huge open ended question but the blue screen of death wasn't really a problem on its own, its just what Windows does when it crashes, regardless of the cause, which could be hardware or software related. Generally though Windows is more stable now than it was before.
3. 8GB minimum, 16GB preferable
4. Brand doesn't matter much for your uses, just get what fits your budget. I would not get an i3 or Ryzen 3 system though, just since that's the lower end.

1. Yes, Office is something you can run on MacOS. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/mac/microsoft-365-for-mac
2. I think a basic one, but depends for what use case if it's enough for you.
3. Generally no

beers

Staff member
If you aren't used to a Mac it will take you a few days to adapt. Not terrible, just different things in different places.

1) as per others there's windows defender
2) BSOD is a symptom, not its own problem
3) In 2022 I honestly wouldn't go with less than 16GB for a Windows PC, but if you're just doing spreadsheets and have a couple tabs then 8 is alright. 4GB will suck balls.
4) Make sure you compare models, also performance figures or '3/5/7/9' are in relation to that generation. People try to dupe others like 'this notebook from 2012 has an i7, while this 2022 laptop has an i5. Since 7 is a bigger number, it must be faster!@*#!*