Help with First Build Parts!

sterlingr

Help with First Build!

Hello all,
I am hopefully going to start my first full build soon and would like some input. I would like this computer to be able to run most modern games at max or close-to max settings however the most important requirement is that this build will be future proof. I don't want to have to throw this away in two years, but rather continue to upgrade parts. To achieve this I obviously need the newest core components (Namely the mobo??) and am willing to pay a little premium for that. The build is as follows: (Plus a GTX 750Ti OC I already have)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Skateracer/saved/D97nTW

(and a list if you don't want to click that ;) )
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler : Stock

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133

Graphics Card: PNY Nvidia GTX 750Ti OC 2Gb

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB

Western: Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

My main questions are:
1. How future-proof is this? Anything I should change to make it more "Future-proof"
2. Keeping basically the same budget, are their any superior parts for that price?
3. What will the gaming capabilities of this be?
4. Any other suggestions, compatibility issues, general comments?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

Very good my friend. I would have suggested a slightly higher end GPU, but the one you have is fine.

The PSU I would switch to a Corsair CX600M unit, Corsair makes good reliable PSUs.

The CPU I would switch to a i5 4690K, for just a little bit more. It allows you to overclock and is slightly faster.

Maybe also a little bit nicer case? Unless you really like that one

C4C

1. For the most part..
2. Yes
3. Currently, medium to maybe high with that graphics card. I recommend a R9 280X or GTX 970 later on.
4. Here's what you want to be future proofed for now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bqkWwP worry about the SSD later, and optical drive unless you really have a need..

^ that list also has better quality parts.

FirstBuild

1. For the most part..
2. Yes
3. Currently, medium to maybe high with that graphics card. I recommend a R9 280X or GTX 970 later on.
4. Here's what you want to be future proofed for now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bqkWwP worry about the SSD later, and optical drive unless you really have a need..

^ that list also has better quality parts.

I believe he's trying to dual SLI with his other graphics card. Does this change your input at all?

Last edited:

sterlingr

No crossfire/ SLI, just that 750Ti for now.

Updated the list to show some changes I've made. I took some suggestions, thanks.

I like the case, and unless something is really "wrong" with it i would like to keep it as I try and keep my budget under $650.

I also want to get all of my storage installed at the start to avoid transferring and splitting data later on.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thank you all!

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

Is there any reason you need a Bluray reader? A regular DVD player/CD reader would be a lot cheaper, and would work fine for installing windows and drivers. In fact, you don't even need one, you can install windows off a flash drive

sterlingr

I wanted to have 1x8, so in the future I could continue to add 8gb sticks and eventually have 32gb of ram. Is the benefit of having 2x4gb worth it?

I probably will change my optical drive, save a few bucks.

Darren

Staff member
I wanted to have 1x8, so in the future I could continue to add 8gb sticks and eventually have 32gb of ram. Is the benefit of having 2x4gb worth it?

I probably will change my optical drive, save a few bucks.

It will run faster in Dual Channel mode if you have 2 sticks with 4GB each. Price difference shouldn't be much. Your stick amounts don't have to match. I have 2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB sticks. If you want to add a lot of RAM later on then you can just drop in 2x8GB next time.