help with flickering screen

vinnybarbarino

i wonder if it is the power supply or the monitor going bad.

i get a little flickering when on the computer , it happens only once in a while where the screen gets a lil smaller and then back to normal , gets a lil blurred and back to normal .

cant describe it well really .

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The image on the monitor gets smaller if the deflecting coils get lower voltage. This could have several reasons: power fluctuations, faulty electronics in the monitor or electric discharge due to accumulated dust in the monitor.
Anyway, it won't hurt cleaning the monitor by vaccuming it throu the backpanel's holes (if you're familiar with the dangers of high voltage, you might take out the monitor's back panel to do this).

Bobo

banned
Lorand said:
Want some bad news? The average functioning time of a CRT monitor is 3 years...

Oh come on, all of mine are over 5 years...and a 7 year one is just beginning to fail

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I didn't say it will blow up after 3 years... just won't function as well as the first day (because some parameters won't be the same as in a new one).
At the office we had an old 14" monitor that worked for 14 years (10 hours per day), after that it really blew up...

Bobo

banned
Lorand said:
I didn't say it will blow up after 3 years... just won't function as well as the first day (because some parameters won't be the same as in a new one).
At the office we had an old 14" monitor that worked for 14 years (10 hours per day), after that it really blew up...

Literally?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Usually LCD panels have a life expectancy of 15,000 hours (unless it's a very expensive one, in which case this value could be 50,000 hours).
15,000 hours may seem pretty much, but if you divide it with 12 hours and 365 days, it gives 3.5 years. As you can see it's not far from a CRT lifespan.
So the only pros for LCD panels are small footprint and low energy comsumption.
On the other hand CRTs will give you a much better and brighter image, no dead pixels, much shorter response time, etc... and all of that for much less money.