help with hard drive

CCPS

Hello .. I have 2 hard drive and i want to make hard drive 2 witch is empty to go on hard drive 1. So i want to to be all one Hard drive. Can you do that or not ?

If its raid how can i do it and how can i do it with out reinstalling windows. Thank you.

Thank you.
cody.

PC eye

banned
With RAID file fragments are spread across a pair of drives in order to see a single partition stretched from one to the other. This is the main vulnerability of arrays if one drive fails or is removed. ut oh...!

Your best move now would copying anything important onto a temp 3rd drive in order to see Windows reinstalled on one single drive in order to see the present array split up.

Cloning from an array onto a single drive? The shrink to compress the array's logical partition in order to clone might be disasterous.

CCPS

Ok im willing to reinstall windows. I have a MSI PM8PM-V motherboard.

I have a P4 motherboard.

Ok what i want is to have my hard drive one (160 GB ) to combined with my 2nd hdd ( 60MB ). so ill have around 220 GB of space how can i raid my 2 hard drives ?

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Raid don't work like that. You need 2 drives the same size, if you were to raid those 2 drives together you would have a total of either 120 gb if raid 0 or 60 gb if raid 1. if you want more drive space you will need to buy another 160 gb to have a total of 320 gb if doing a raid 0 or 160 gb if doing a raid 1 (mirroring) which means whatever data is on one drive will be on the other one as well, in case one drive dies.

PC eye

banned
With the mismatch of drive sizes there you would be better off simply seeing the 60gb model used as the OS/boot drive and the 160gb as the larger storage device.

The idea behind RAID is not seeing the same things duplicated on a second drive but the method of storing data in multiple places to see a performance gain mainly for servers not desktops. If a drive fails you lose! Windows is simply seeing multiple drives as only one logical drive there with file fragments spread in various sectors of each drive involved.

CCPS

is there a a way i can have my 60gb ( OS ) and use the 160gb as free space. like all my programs go there or it will automatic put my files there on the 2nd hdd ?

G25r8cer

is there a a way i can have my 60gb ( OS ) and use the 160gb as free space. like all my programs go there or it will automatic put my files there on the 2nd hdd ?

Thats what PC EYE just said you should do. Come on now!

PC eye

banned
To work with those two drives alone and simply not see the 60gb model replaced by a larger drive you could set that up as the host/OS drive if you need a large drive for storage and simply backing things up. Once you start loading up the 60gb drive with all kind of softwares especially newer ones taking up more space the 60gb would then start to get a little cramped.

With multiple drives and multiple OSs here I added an external drive for a primary storage device while still seeing files stored locally for each OS installed. But I'm working with 500gb models simply from needing the larger capacity. For the basics and a few things like games some even use a smaller then 60gb for the essentials.