Help with homenetwork

codeman0013

Hey guys here's the backstory on this one. I have 3 computers 2 running xp pro and 1 running vista. The one running vista and one of the ones running xp will talk just fine but the other one will not. The laptop is in the same workgroup as they are all in the CODEMAN group. Any suggestions on why i can remote into that computer but it will not show up on my workgroup???

codeman0013

the only firewall is windows and it was turned off and it did not make a difference nortons is just virus protection not the whole package...

Trizoy

VIP Member
Norton controls more of the computer than you would think. Try Disabling/Exiting it. You might find there is not problem at all. Then you can get ahold of norton and have them fix it. If it doesnt work, then we have some other things to do.

codeman0013

*EDIT* Nortons was uninstalled and no firewall was on but still it will not connect to it... any more suggestions?

Last edited:

codeman0013

Ok when i go to my network it shows up like this

network.jpg

but when i try to ping it i get

error.jpg

any suggestions?

Trizoy

VIP Member
so you ping 1.2 but you received a repsonse from 1.5? WTF...

These computers are all plugged into the same network, in the same workgroup, and have a file shared? Does it work the reverse way? Can you see the computer you pinged from on the outcast computer? Meaning can yo browse from the pc you cant network to?

codeman0013

no the laptop for some odd reason never has worked or played well on the network since i got it from dell i can remote into it but i cannot share it on the network...

tlarkin

VIP Member
that is a loopback test so your NICs are probably good, could be OS or software related, its hard to say with out doing some trial and error and process of elimination...

codeman0013

What could we do? I really would like to use the harddrive thats hooked up the the laptop as a network drive for the entire house and i cant do it unless i can get them to talk..

tlarkin

VIP Member
you can

reset your router

reinstall the nic

run the winsock fix

run chkdsk

run sfc

overlay the OS

reinstall windows

replace nic

not in that order or anything, but you can try those

codeman0013

hmmmm i have reset the router what is the winsock? and sfc? and overlay the os? cant reinstall windows there are many issues with teh laptop and doing that and the nic isnt bad i have tested it over and over lol

tomb08uk

Try this one. Once worked for me:

START>
RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER AND SELECT MANAGE
THEN SELECT SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS > SERVICES
AND ENABLE 'SERVER' OPTION.

WORTH AGO, AS THATS THE SERVICE TO ENABLE IT. IF IT COMES UP WITH A ERROR SAYING CANT BE ENABLED, THEN I FOUND THE ONLY WAY TO CURE WAS TO REMASTER MACHINE.

HOPE THIS HELPS

codeman0013

hmm that didnt get it either i just dont know what else to do at this point any suggestions left?

EDIT: I can remotely manage this computer i just cannot connect to it to do it any suggestions on how to set up a network drive?

one final thing here is my stuff in the network adapter maybe some of these are extra???

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Last edited:

codeman0013

ok the winsoxxpfix didnt work here is my new error i get when trying to connect to it... it shows up on all the computers but they all say the same thing...

networkerror.jpg