Help with homenetwork

apj101

VIP Member
are you assigning the internal ips dynamically?
what are the IPs of all the machines on the network (the results of the ping test in post 8 have peaked my interest)

codeman0013

ajp yes they are dynamically done and they are 192.168.1.1(router) 192.168.1.2(toddstoy) 192.168.1.4(codylaptop) and 192.168.1.5(codypc) i have noticed that the 2 that work when i click on them have Categories:Computer Workgroup:CODEMAN and Network location:Codeman's Connection but the laptop(one that doesnt work right) does not have the network location. Also it wont bring up the workgroup it says it cannot access it..

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
that is weird typically a router will start at a higher IP address. Like 192.168.1.100, but yours starts at 1?

Are you using any kind of special settings on the router or the factory settings?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Unfortunately there is no real exact way to reinstall the TCP/IP stack in windows XP. In previous versions of windows you could uninstall and reinstall it no problem.

Your problem could be OS related. Try running SFC and CHKDSK in the recovery console and see what happens.

codeman0013

Its not the vista computer with the problem its the xp laptop. The vista computer shows up fine on the other pc just not hte laptop becuase the laptop wont talk to the rest of the network

tlarkin

VIP Member
Its not the vista computer with the problem its the xp laptop. The vista computer shows up fine on the other pc just not hte laptop becuase the laptop wont talk to the rest of the network

sfc /scannow

And you are sure that the laptop nic is good?

codeman0013

yea it can ping 127.0.0.1 and it is on the net no problems and it shows up in the network it just wont let it access does wireless make a difference?