Help with new build

Jon Boy

So I haven't built a computer in about 5 years and a little rusty. I just upgraded my mobo RAM and CPU (see Sig for the rig). Right now im trying to get the thing to just display an image and I can't. So i can get it to power on but nothing displays on the screen. I have attached the 12x2 main power but noticed I also have two 2x4 atx sockets which I don't have adapters for.

Will these be needed to atleast display BIOS? Any ideas?

tech savvy

So I haven't built a computer in about 5 years and a little rusty. I just upgraded my mobo RAM and CPU (see Sig for the rig). Right now im trying to get the thing to just display an image and I can't. So i can get it to power on but nothing displays on the screen. I have attached the 12x2 main power but noticed I also have two 2x4 atx sockets which I don't have adapters for.

Will these be needed to atleast display BIOS? Any ideas?

On my MoBo, I have a 4pin and a 6pin, and EVGA recommends only to hook those up if I plan on any extreme OC'ing. They dont have to be pluged in to run your PC, it just gives your PC some extra juice when needed.

For the black screen, try to reset everything and double check all connections. If not, unplug everything except the essensuals, CPU, 1x stick ram, HDD, and/or GPU, and see if she'll boot.

Jon Boy

I'm not at my house any more but everything was connected fine. I will try removing 2 sticks of RAM though to see if that helps.

P.s. my CPU fan doesn't fit so thinking of the H60 are you happy with the performance of yours?

Jon Boy

I'm not at my house any more but everything was connected fine. I will try removing 2 sticks of RAM though to see if that helps.

P.s. my CPU fan doesn't fit so thinking of the H60 are you happy with the performance of yours?

tech savvy

Well, it depends. When I first installed it, I was getting high temps for some reason(around 30-38c@stock clocks), idling! So I removed the thermal paste that came pre-applied on the H60 and used the EVGA frost bite paste that came with my MoBo, and now im getting around 36-40c, OC'ed to 4.5, under normal use,internet browsing,watching movies,editing, stuff like that. When I stress test the CPU, it never goes above 65c,ever!

Last edited:

Jon Boy

It still won't boot, infact I can't even hear ant BIOS beeps. As a bare minimum what do I need plugged in to load the BIOS. I will list what I have connected so far.
  • on switch
  • reset
  • 1 stick of RAM (correct slot)
  • CPU
  • CPU cooler
  • 12x2 ATX power
  • Graphics Card
  • Case speaker
I have also tried the PCI-E x16 & x8 slots, two video cards, Primary BIOS and backup (there is a switch), 3 sticks of RAM for tripple channel.

Is the HDD required to load bios?

Jon Boy

Well you can vote for me being the biggest idiot on the forum. It would help if I had plugged the CPU power in LOL