help with new computer (like everyone else here)

apatel9

Hello, I need some help building a new computer. I don’t need a monitor, keyboard mouse and all of that. My budget is about 1300-1500 range. Some things I would prefer, Intel based with the new processors, not sure of the 6400 will cut it or if it’s worth the extra money for the 6600. Also, I was hoping for two video cards in sli or crossfire modes, and two hard drives (not sure of its worth the extra money for 10,000 rpm vs 7200rpm) in raid 0 configurations. I don’t necessarily need both video cards now (i can add another one in a few months when i get some more cash). Hoping for 2 gig of DDR-2 800 ram (once again I can get one gig now and wait on another one). The function of this computer will basically be videogames (WoW, and steam platform games half-life 2, etc), and I watch a lot of movies on my computer (no tv in my apartment). Some stuff I want to pay close attention to is the temperature of the CPU and gpu, especially during game play, while running two video cards. I plan on buring DVD’s. I was also considering not buying a sound card, I don’t have a 7.1 surround sound system, only two speaks and a sub (don’t play volume very high either). I was hoping to do all my shopping from the same website (newegg.com or tigerdirect.com). Also, warranties become an issue because if something breaks I don’t want to have to buy a new one soon after i get this one. Last thing to mention, I want to leave room for expanding for later (mostly talking about motherboard and tower). I guess thats all for now, let me know if you guys need any more information.

apatel9

Another questionis there a big difference between the intel E6300, E6400 and E6600, and where is the sweet spot if there is one. I have read that any one of these will basically outpreform any of thr AMD x2's, but which is the best value for its money and is it worth getting the E6600?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Jet

VIP Member
Unless you want to overclock, the E6600 would be the best price/performance, but if you are overclocking, get the E6300.

apatel9

OK, thanks, as far as video cards are concerned, im looking at the 7900GT (256mb), and eventually have two of them in sli mode. Do you guys think I would be better off getting one 7900GTX (512).

Jet

VIP Member
Ya, but I seriously think that SLI is a waste of money, since by the time you want to upgrade to SLI, there will be a single card that will be so much better.

As well, SLI doesn't always help FPS, it sometimes hinders them!

Last edited:

ducis

1 gtx with sli the difference between 1 card and 2 is only 50% plus with the gtx u can always upgrade

apatel9

So I decided on the E6600 for sure, and im now thinking about the 7950 g2x, now as far as motherboard is concerned which one will support that card to its full potential, will support sli, the processor, and not have heating problems. Also, is it really worth getting the 7950 g2x, that would be 1/3 of my budget (i can always buy 1 gig of ram now and wait to buy another one). Also what kinda of cooling parts am i looking at with a setup like that? Im thinking its gonna be out of my price range. Another random question, are the liquid cooling kits really worth the $130, and are they hard to assemble?