Help with powerup

shelldan

Hi
Ive recently put built my own computer but I cant seem to get it to power up.
Here are my specs:
PSU - Enermax EG701AX 600w ATX
MOBO - Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
Harddrive - Seagate ST3300601CB-RK 300gb
Memory - 2 GB Corsair DDR2-SDRAM DDR2-667
Video - 2x MSI NX7600GS-T2D256EH Geforce
Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Now Ive put it all together and everything seems to be in order. But when I power the computer up all the lights are working as they should but the Bios chip keeps beeping.
Ive pluged in my 19inch lcd widescreen but nothing seems to come up on the screen. Its on but not powering up.
Is there something here that isnt compatible or does someone know what Im doing wrong.
The manufactures book says initally the system should run a power on self test and while tests are made the bios chip beeps or messages should appear on the screen.
It says the system may have failed the power on test and that i should check the jumper settings if the bios chip keeps beeping or nothing appears on the screen. No video drivers have been loaded yet as i cant get it to power up.
A friend has told me to use the onboard video card but there doesnt seem to be one.
Not to sure what I should do.
Please help. Thanks

Last edited:

dark_legacy2006

well, im recently builidng a new pc and i generally have problems so im gonna pst this to brign it to the top of the lsit ans see how many good trouble shooters there are ;)

PC eye

banned
A bad cpu or memory seating can cause problems like this as well as forgetting to plug in the small four wire plug from the supply onto the board near the cpu socket as seen on Socket 939 boards. That's the additional 12v feed seen on the newer boards. A friend here received a bad board and sent it back to receive a second one of the same model recently. When asked I advised either picking out a different model or a different brand due to a bad batch of boards. Sure enough the different model fire up perfectly. A bad capacitor or diode on the board, a bad chipset, defective cpu. It would be either a power connection or hardware fault most likely.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
What's the beep code? Long beeps and short beeps? Describe it... Normally, such beeps either mean video problems or RAM problems...

Computer Post / Beep codes

Here are a few beep codes for different bios's. Skim over it and see if any relate to your problem.

PC eye

banned
With more then one dimm installed it would more likely be a single dimm is bad or they are not down properly in the dimm slot. The constant beeping can also point at another card being lifted up in the slot like the video card. Try reseating the dimms and the vid card to see if that's a problem along with examining all power connections.

shelldan

The_Other_One said:
What's the beep code? Long beeps and short beeps? Describe it... Normally, such beeps either mean video problems or RAM problems...

Computer Post / Beep codes

Here are a few beep codes for different bios's. Skim over it and see if any relate to your problem.

Hey thanks for that post. Its helped a bit. I know what the issue is now I just need to figure out how to fix it.
The beeps are 1 long and 2 short beeps. This indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.
From my specs above which have the video cards Im using. Are they compatible.
Heres a pic of inside the case in case it might help. Not sure that it will but who knows. It shows the two Video Cards attached to the MOBO.

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 54

shelldan

Slowly getting there

Alright. Ive removed one of the video cards, the sound card and one of the memory cards.
Its up and running now so does anyone know what the actual problem would have been. Would it have been both of the video cards connected at the same time or what?
Cheers for the advice so far

shelldan

All sorted

Well after taking out all video cards and dimm's I have taken 1 out and put the other in and played around with one thing at a time.
What I found was that it was one of my corsair 1gb dimm which was preventing my system from powering up.
Id like to thank all for their help.:)