Help with purchase please..

anyhtinggoes

I need help ordering a new mobo,ram,cpu. I have some components I'd like to use for this.
His x1950pro AGP version
Corsair VX450
Seagate HDD
Sony DVD/ROM

I want to achieve 3ghz with a dual core cpu (mobo must have agp slot). My budget is around $300 for all 3. Links appreciated. More than likely I'll be ordering from Tiger Direct.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Why do you want an AGP slot? There is no reason to get an AGP motherboard if you're buying a new graphics card as well. AGP has been obsolete for quite a few years.

anyhtinggoes

Why do you want an AGP slot? There is no reason to get an AGP motherboard if you're buying a new graphics card as well. AGP has been obsolete for quite a few years.
I already have a AGP x1950 I want to use. I don't need anything but a mobo,ram, and a cpu

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Ah. Still, though, I'd strongly suggest moving on to PCI-e. Your X1950 is the max you can put in, and later on, you'll have to upgrade a lot of components to make the move.

Also, another thing to mention is that AGP motherboards that can handle Core 2 Duos use obselete Northbridge chipsets, and you'll have little overclocking headroom.

anyhtinggoes

Ah. Still, though, I'd strongly suggest moving on to PCI-e. Your X1950 is the max you can put in, and later on, you'll have to upgrade a lot of components to make the move.

Also, another thing to mention is that AGP motherboards that can handle Core 2 Duos use obselete Northbridge chipsets, and you'll have little overclocking headroom.
Well, I don't plan on upgrading anymore for a while. I'm currently using a P4 2.8 northwood along with the x1950 that has been great for what I do. I'm sure a C2D and some decent ddr2 will satisfy me greatly for the time being. I'll be moving on to quad core or who knows what in the next 2 years.

Last edited:

anyhtinggoes

Thanks. After reading thought the specs the MB only supports a FSB of 1066 and ddr2 667 ram. Will I be able to use the cpu(FSB 1333) and ram(ddr2 800)?

paratwa

I know you want to use our AGP video card, but really, upgrading a computer to new specs and using that AGP is like buying a Corvette and putting a 4 cylinder engine in it.

It is just not worth it. You will be limiting yourself to any future upgrades on the video end, and you will hate yourself later.

Just buy a new PCI-E motherboard and wait until you have enough to buy a video card to go in it.

I am running a AGP card myself (ATI2600) and I wish I had just gone the little extra it would have cost to upgrade to a new motherboard.

You can always sell that video card on Ebay or something.

anyhtinggoes

I know you want to use our AGP video card, but really, upgrading a computer to new specs and using that AGP is like buying a Corvette and putting a 4 cylinder engine in it.

It is just not worth it. You will be limiting yourself to any future upgrades on the video end, and you will hate yourself later.

Just buy a new PCI-E motherboard and wait until you have enough to buy a video card to go in it.

I am running a AGP card myself (ATI2600) and I wish I had just gone the little extra it would have cost to upgrade to a new motherboard.

You can always sell that video card on Ebay or something.
Point taken. I'm not an avid gamer nor is there anything I do that I can't accomplish even with on board video. I don't want to spend massive amounts of money on upgrading my PC when all I do is surf the web and use it for HD movies. That's why I want to use components I already have. I'm not trying to run the latest 3D games at max resolution. The video card is my least concern. Besides the MB I selected has a PCI-E slot and AGP slot. The only thing left I need help with is making sure everything is compatible.

anyhtinggoes

Gosh, if I knew it would be this hard to pry info from you guys I wouldn't have posted. I really don't need your opinions about upgrading or what's obsolete. I just want help buying components I listed that are compatible with what I have. I'm sure if I wanted to run Crysis @1600x1200 I would need a new pci-e card. The fact is the only thing the card does for me is load images/videos on the web faster and play HD movies. The X1950 I have is great for that and will be 2 years from now. It may be obsolete for you gamers/video editors but not for me.