Help with speed issues on new dvd burner

graedus

Hi all, i've been burning much of my video archives onto dvd now that i have a new 22x burner. problem is, it's not burning anywhere near that. for one, i only have 16x disks, so it'll never burn faster than that. secondly, after the burn cycle completes the average burn speed on a dvd-r is 0.89x. that's so sad i could cry. so i decided to try a cd-r (which my burner is rated as 48x), and the software attempts to burn at 40x, but the log shows the average is 4.69x. also so sad i could cry. anyone have any suggestions? is the drive at fault? or is the media at fault?

edit:

i have an LG GH22NS30 dvd burner, and was using memorex dvd-r and maxell cd-r

lawson_jl

Wow that does suck. Some things to check is the health of your HDD, try a differnt media, check what you have running in the background, etc.

TFT

VIP Member
A couple of things to check (if it's supported) is to go into device manager and set all your drives to DMA, not PIO.
Secondly is your drive running as slave or master ( I don't know how modern your outfit is)

graedus

i have a pretty new system, and it's the only drive installed, and i've been to the device manager however i don't think i can change do DMA or PIO as there is no mention of either in the drive properties window.

athlon 64 dual core 2.8mhz, 4 gig ram, 500gig hdd (sata), lg 22x burner (sata)

StrangleHold

Staff member
i have a pretty new system, and it's the only drive installed, and i've been to the device manager however i don't think i can change do DMA or PIO as there is no mention of either in the drive properties window.

athlon 64 dual core 2.8mhz, 4 gig ram, 500gig hdd (sata), lg 22x burner (sata)

In Device Manager you look under the controller the drive is on, not under the drive itself.

graedus

pardon my ignorance, but still not seeing anything about DMA or PIO. also, i noticed that there is no region selected yet, does that have anything to do with it?

graedus

i finally found a faq that gave a solution to my problem of PIO being stuck with windows not allowing the change to DMA.

real easy too, select PIO only then reboot, then select DMA if available and reboot again, done.

the other options involving uninstalling/reinstalling the ide controllers didn't work, and changing the keys in regedit didn't work either as i had a different layout than described and i didn't change anything for fear of screwing up something even more important.

anyway kudos on spotting the DMA PIO thing.

edit:
just burned 4.5gb in less than 6 minutes at an avg of 10.5x, much better than before. i wasn't using the "recommended" media for the player so i'm gonna go get some disks from the recommended brands and see how much faster i can burn.

Last edited:

m3incorp

BTW, there are some newer burners that have what is called over-speed that enables them to burn at a faster rate than the media. With the patch my Samsungs burn 16X certain media at 18X.