Help with Speedfan

struby2

I was looking to use Speedfan to monitor my temperatures and maybe change fan speeds. I have it installed, but I can't fully figure out how to set it up. I'm not sure which temperature corresponds to which part of my system etc.

attached are a couple screen shots of what I'm seeing in Speedfan

I also did not see my board listed in the speedfan list

here is my setup
Phenom II x4 955 + XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.415601

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 + GeIL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.424666

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB + HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.413256

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W + LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.419457

I am not sure what style of case you want, just find one with combo deal

Attachments

• speedfan pics.jpg
    speedfan pics.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 505

jevery

You can sometimes to use other programs to help determine to which board component that each SpeedFan temperature correlates to. Once you know then you can rename the headings if you like.

I've verified most of mine from PC Probe, an ASUS monitoring program that came with the MB.

I'm assuming that GIGABYTE provides a similar program that you might use for the same purpose.

Also, you can determine to which fan each speed correlates' to by slowing the fan speed with your finger while watching the speeds on the program. I think it's easier to control fan speeds in the BIOS settings. (that is for the fans connected to MB headers).

Aastii

VIP Member
Speedfan is very useful for changing fan speeds, however less than reliable for information about temperatures. Software that monitors temps aren't ever completely accurate, however some are better than others.

I'd recomend using HW monitor, from experience gives consistantly better readings on different systems

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Is also much clearer as to what temperature is what :)

struby2

speenfan and hwmonitor both tell me my cpu is a 0 C, all 4 cores, and that something is at 80C. HW monitor has generic temp labels as well.

Aastii

VIP Member
speenfan and hwmonitor both tell me my cpu is a 0 C, all 4 cores, and that something is at 80C. HW monitor has generic temp labels as well.

What CPU are you running?

What do you mean "something", it won't say Something: 0 degrees

try to be more specific

struby2

all of that is in the first post, they both just say core 0 C, or for HWmonitor it says 0 C for all 4 cores, and for temp3 (TMPIN2 on HWmonitor), it says 80 C, and this is again, right after I start up my comp, I can't believe something would reach 80 C in less than like 2 mins.

Aastii

VIP Member
all of that is in the first post, they both just say core 0 C, or for HWmonitor it says 0 C for all 4 cores, and for temp3 (TMPIN2 on HWmonitor), it says 80 C, and this is again, right after I start up my comp, I can't believe something would reach 80 C in less than like 2 mins.

Is it actually a 955, or did you buy a prebuilt system as a 955, or did you get a 720 and unlock the core and have it @ 3.2GHz? If it is either of the last 2, when a tri core is unlocked, the seonsors don't work any more, they will display 0

Can you screenshot HW Monitor, because that 80 degrees one, if it stays at 80 all the time, may be the either the power supply and motherboard.

It isn't that either are actually @ 80 degrees, it is that they either don't have a sensor, or the sensor doesn't work properly with the program. This will always throw up strange, and most of the time, very high temperatures, sometimes seeing them as in the hundreds, when obviously, if the component was that hot, you would smeel it and it would cause either system failure, or the system to shut itself down

struby2

Is it actually a 955, or did you buy a prebuilt system as a 955, or did you get a 720 and unlock the core and have it @ 3.2GHz? If it is either of the last 2, when a tri core is unlocked, the seonsors don't work any more, they will display 0

Can you screenshot HW Monitor, because that 80 degrees one, if it stays at 80 all the time, may be the either the power supply and motherboard.

It isn't that either are actually @ 80 degrees, it is that they either don't have a sensor, or the sensor doesn't work properly with the program. This will always throw up strange, and most of the time, very high temperatures, sometimes seeing them as in the hundreds, when obviously, if the component was that hot, you would smeel it and it would cause either system failure, or the system to shut itself down

It is a 955, I built the system by part. Hardware list and speedfan both show all four cores there and being used respectively, if only being used a little, the green bar in speedfan fills up a bit for each of them from time to time. This is always at 0. As for the 80 C temperature reading, when the computer first starts, like if I start up, takes like 30 seconds, and hit speedfan and/or HWmonitor right away, it shows it at 78C, then it goes up to 80 or 81 and hangs there consistantly.

I am not worried alot, because I don't think 78 C would be achievable that quickly, what do you think, but regardless, I still would like to be able to monitor whatever temperature that is, and I would very much also like to be able to monitor my processor temperature.

My brother's new computer that I built for him has a broken sensor. Shows 128C at all times... :p

could this be it maybe, could my core sensors be broken, four broken sensors seems unlikely, and could the 80 C one be broken, and what are my options if so?

thanks guys, if anyone knows whats going on or what might be, please help.

-Andy

Last edited:

salvage-this

I know that you already ended this but I always get weird and missing readings from Speed Fan and HW Monitor. I just use AMD Overdrive to monitor temps. That works a lot better on my system.

struby2

Oh I hope I didn't give the "ended" vibe, I'm still on the hunt for answers, and someone might have suggested that to me, and I thought, what good is a third program going to do, I already tried 2, but if you say it works better for you, I guess when I get home it might be worth a try. Still looking for advice, thanks again.

jevery

With your initial post you wanted to monitor temperatures and adjust fan speeds. Your screenshot of SpeedFan showed a CPU temp of 37C and another temp of 34C - Probably motherboard temp I'm guessing. These appear to correspond with the 2 temps that should show up in your BIOS per your MB manual.

BIOS1.jpg

Individual core temps are nice, but as long as you have one reliable CPU temp, IMO not really necessary for monitoring and protecting your CPU, such as when overclocking.

It also appears to me that the use of GIGABYTES Easy Tune software along with fan settings in you BIOS would give you a lot more useful control of your fans and overall cooling of your system than SpeedFan. I'd be using the System Smart Fan Control to control the speed of the two fans on the SYS_FAN headers in relation to you MB temps.

BIOS2.jpg

struby2

so if I follow correctly, the core temp says 0, but that is because my core temp actually corresponds to one of the reading it IS showing?

I should try that software you suggested for gigabyte, and check my temps in bios, how do i get to bios on gigabyte, delete?

struby2

so I checked in bios, it listed my cpu at what is listed as one of the top two temps in speedfan 41 C, so good call there, should I be concerned about that 80 C, because it does fluctuate from like 78 to 81, but is that possibly just a lack of sensor where some motherboards have one? Do you think speedfan and other programs list them in the same order as bios, so I would know which one is which?

side note also: that screenshot where it says cpu temp is edited from me messing around, it should just say temp1, as I don't really know which temp it corresponds to for sure.

jevery

I wouldn't be concerned about the 80C. I think it's a bogus reading. Only thing on my system that reaches those temps is the GPU and SpeedFan won't read a video card.

So you have two temps showing in the BIOS and in SpeedFan, One is CPU, one is System, (or MB), CPU temp will fluctuate with CPU load. System temp will be relatively stable and rise slowly as the system warms the interior of the case. You could start the computer, go into the BIOS, note the system temperature, then start the computer and open SpeedFan and see which of the temps corresponds to the System temp you noted in the BIOS.

Or, you could download and run Prime 95 for a few seconds and note which temp in SpeedFan rises quickly. That would be CPU.

I'd try Easy Tune though. Should be a lot more compatible with that MB than SpeedFan.