Help with testing my dial-up service.

MarkSkits

I know what you're thinking - "What the heck mark why would you make a dial up service?"
Quick Answer: I want to give people in my area free internet through phone.

You see, I *think* I got my server set up. I connected my old laptop with Ethernet and connected the modem to share the network.

The problem is, I don't know if it works.

Since I probably shouldn't put my number out to the public, *PLEASE* message me if you want to help.

beers

Staff member
Can't you call out from another landline with a modem as a proof of concept?

Do you have a substantial POTS or PRI connection to handle more than one user? This seems like a lot of effort and expense for zero benefit.

People would also be better off buying internet with some VoIP service more cheaply than a traditional land line.

MarkSkits

Can't you call out from another landline with a modem as a proof of concept?

Do you have a substantial POTS or PRI connection to handle more than one user? This seems like a lot of effort and expense for zero benefit.

People would also be better off buying internet with some VoIP service more cheaply than a traditional land line.

I don't have any other lines, plus the fact I have no friends (great!) and really its just for some basic free internet for the people in my local community.

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't have any other lines, plus the fact I have no friends (great!) and really its just for some basic free internet for the people in my local community.
Just so I understand, you're trying to allow others dial into your server, which uses some other form of broadband? How many incoming calls can you accept at once? Does your local community have broadband if they wanted to pay for it? You'd be asking those in your community to buy a dial-up modem, and then you'd have to run tech support to tell them how to install it, configure it, and handle any issues that arise.

Honestly if you want to spread your connection to others, look at wireless and setting up a WISP in your town.