Help with this video card, Please.

NLAlston

I have a GeForce 7600 GT OC video card that a friend gave me, to help with Dual Monitor capability on my computer (which is a Dell XPS 8500). In the event that additional info may help, I include it below:
..........................................................................................................
Dell Inc. / 0YJPT1
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7- 3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 4 Core
RAM 16.00 GB
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
.........................................................................................................

I don't know much, at all, about these things, and hope that someone might be able to help me. My aim is only to get dual monitors running on my pc, which would afford me more of a hands-on approach to my watching software tutorials on one monitor, while applying the principles on another - at the same time. I had thought that it was a simple matter of installing the above mentioned graphics card, and downloading whatever driver(s) would be required. Upon installation, however, my computer would not boot up. Instead, the power light was no longer white, but an amber color. Coupled with that was a continual beeping sound. I HAD noticed that there was a small brass connecting pin, on the opposite side of the ones to be inserted in the slot for the card. But I could see nothing, in the wiring, that could possibly connect there. I tried to attach a picture of the card, but the file size was too large, and I didn't know how to reduce it down.

But, I would appreciate input from anyone who may know to what I am speaking on.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

NLAlston

Well, I found out (rather quickly :)) how to scale down that picture. 'Was much simpler than I'd thought. The 'red' square surrounds the connecting piece that I'd made reference to.

Attachments

• Graphic Card edited.jpg
    Graphic Card edited.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5

beers

Staff member
Yeesh, that card's like 15 years old.

The red box was for a SLI connector if you wanted to run multiple GPUs together. Some BIOS have a 'multi monitor' setting where it will keep the iGPU enabled, ideally you could run both monitors from the DVI slots using HDMI converters or something. If you don't get video from onboard or the card at boot then it's probably RIP'd, although I would assume your friend dude tested it before giving it to you.

NLAlston

Thank you for your input. Yes, I kinda figured that this card was old :) . But I wonder, now, if I even need another graphics card. My computer has one HDMI, and one conventional monitor connection. My main monitor can be married to my computer via the larger (DVI?) connector, or by HDMI. I am utilizing the latter method, seeing as how the plug on my monitor's cable is larger than the mating piece on my PC. The extra monitor has both the HDMI, as well as the smaller monitor plug available on it. I don't the cable for that, but wish to ask a question about the HDMI. Would an HDMI splitter help me out, for what I wish to do? I mean - in that manner, would I be able to move displays from one screen to another, having different screens displayed on each monitor? If that would be possible, it is all that I would need.

NLAlston

Disregard my last post. I just did a bit more researching, and found the answer - which is a BIG, and very disappointing NAY NAY. Maybe I can find a DVI adapter for the smaller connection on my PC, and use the HDMI for the 2nd monitor. Maybe THAT will work out for me.

NLAlston

Well, it turned out that the very same friend, who had given me that graphics card, remembered an old monitor that he had. Locating it, he also found the vga cable which was in close proximity to it. He gave both the cable, and that Dell monitor to me. So, now I am in business :).