Ok I bought a Compaq Presario SR5350f desktop about a year and a half ago. It is a cheap PC but had everything I needed it to do at that time.
It has:
Windows Vista 32-bit
Motherboard is a LANCASTER8-GL6
Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor E2160, 1.8 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front side bus
2 Gb memory
It had a 200W or 250W PSU but I changed this out with an Antec 650W ATX12V v2.2
I put a BFG GeForce 9400GT 512MB DDR2, it worked for a while then got really hot and the fan on top of graphics card stopped working, this is why I changed the PSU not sure if that would help, was look at buying the EVGA GeForce 9400GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 (as of right now I have to have the cover off the case and have a small circular fan blowing in to keep it cool)
I also installed another fan to help keep it cool but without the graphics card fan working its not really helping much.
So I guess my question is how much would I have to spend to upgrade the motherboard and processor. I started playing WoW so that was the reason for the graphics card and sometimes I can be on the PC for a couple of hours. My knowledge of PC is limited but if I'm correct I could get a motherboard and processor that would match up with the upgrades that I have already done.
Any suggestions of which motherboard or processor? I know my current processor is bottom line, I would just like something a little bit more powerful. WoW is really the only gaming I do and it doesn't require much to run it, just would like to spice my PC up if its reasonable to do. I think Vista also sucks alot out of my PC because I believe 2g RAM is minimum to run it, would like to upgrade to 4g but current motherboard only goes to 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
It has:
Windows Vista 32-bit
Motherboard is a LANCASTER8-GL6
Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor E2160, 1.8 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front side bus
2 Gb memory
It had a 200W or 250W PSU but I changed this out with an Antec 650W ATX12V v2.2
I put a BFG GeForce 9400GT 512MB DDR2, it worked for a while then got really hot and the fan on top of graphics card stopped working, this is why I changed the PSU not sure if that would help, was look at buying the EVGA GeForce 9400GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 (as of right now I have to have the cover off the case and have a small circular fan blowing in to keep it cool)
I also installed another fan to help keep it cool but without the graphics card fan working its not really helping much.
So I guess my question is how much would I have to spend to upgrade the motherboard and processor. I started playing WoW so that was the reason for the graphics card and sometimes I can be on the PC for a couple of hours. My knowledge of PC is limited but if I'm correct I could get a motherboard and processor that would match up with the upgrades that I have already done.
Any suggestions of which motherboard or processor? I know my current processor is bottom line, I would just like something a little bit more powerful. WoW is really the only gaming I do and it doesn't require much to run it, just would like to spice my PC up if its reasonable to do. I think Vista also sucks alot out of my PC because I believe 2g RAM is minimum to run it, would like to upgrade to 4g but current motherboard only goes to 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks