Help with upgrading my current build?

KiD [720]

New Member
Hey guys, not sure if any of you remember me but a few of you on here helped me with my gaming build back in April..Im back and the computer i built is still running strong ;).. I was wondering if there was anything i could replace to upgrade in my computer? Graffics card? CPU? My setup is in my signature...


Thanks for any help.
 
GPU:XFX HD 512MB 256-bit HDCP. :D

ALWAYS room for upgrades, but how much are you looking to spend?

That does not say what series card he has. He could have hd 3000 or 4000 series card. but it doesn't say now does it????:rolleyes:
 
Well if you really want to upgrade something, you don't have to do any of these but they are definite options.

For your CPU, if you havn't already, I would unlock it's 4th core, so instead of a triple core CPU, you can have a quad core without spending more money. In this video he does it for your 710 batch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGKBXgbmCOk&feature=fvw

If you do that I would get a new PSU, rosewill is... well it's to be desired. I would go with and OCZ psu, they are built tough.

And for your RAM, get some with better timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=ripjaw-_-20-231-303-_-Product

If you get this RAM as well, you could start using windows 7 64bit, it's a nice OS and the 64bit will utilize all of your RAM. Plus the ram is fast and nice for overclocking.

Good Luck :cool:
 
Last edited:
Pretty moddern technology for your PC.

The only area I think would make sense from a dollar invested / value added is Video card. But it's hard to tell - b/c your sig line does not list the Video technology you're currently using.

Beyond a larger Hard Drive < if you need it > I don't think I'd upgrade anything if I had that PC.

Maybe a driving game and one of these.

F430762x227.jpg


Or you could buy them for me :D
 
KiD [720];1380983 said:
so any suggestions on upgrades will be nice..my budget is about at the most 300.

It really depends on what you like.

i.e.
I'd love to have a 5850 video card - but if I had 300 bucks - I'd probably get the Racing wheel I posted above. But I already added a CPU cooler - and a second monitor / TV tuner - after my initial build - as they were more important to my interests than a better video card - b/c the games I play all work fine on my 9800 GTX+. When the prices drop closer to 100 bucks I'll probably get 5850 whether I need it or not - but for 300 bucks - I really don't need it. I'd like a bigger better case - but decided it would make no impact on my actual computing experience - so I'll probably keep the one I've got til I build anew. :D

The first ( and possibly only ) major component upgrade will be a video card - but right now - it's just not worth the money for my uses to justify the upgrade. I'd rather have 300 bucks saving in the bank toward a new build 3 years from now - than marginally upgrade a part that wouldn't really change my PC enjoyment much. That being said - I really do enjoy having a TV tuner in my second monitor. I can watch a ball game on my old Dell 15" free Monitor - while I'm gaming on my main monitor. I'd like to upgrade it to a 22" monitor to match my main monitor - but it's not worth spending $ on it for me.

I guess I'm saying it's your money - what do you want. Is there something about your PC that you feel needs improvement- what is it?

a few to consider would be

* New games
* upgrade video card
* Racing wheel - or flight sim controller
* CPU cooler ( if you want to overclock )
* TV tuner card / second monitor ( I really enjoy mine - but doesn't mean you would )
* Save the money to spend another day on something you really wanted / needed. Bank account / mutual fund :good:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top