help with windows 8

coolerdayz

hello. i recently purchased a laptop (from a pawn shop) that has windows 8, but i dont have the original password. what i would like to do is reset everything back to factory settings and start fresh. how can i do this without the original operating disc?

thanks in advance. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
hello. i recently purchased a laptop (from a pawn shop) that has windows 8, but i dont have the original password. what i would like to do is reset everything back to factory settings and start fresh. how can i do this without the original operating disc?

Should have checked it before buying the laptop. We can't help you bypass security that someone set in place on their laptop.

AlienMenace

You're probably going to have to buy a new copy of Windows 8, due to the fact without the disk or Licensee key. Microsoft probably will not activate it under your name anyway.

coolerdayz

well, as far as the security, I figure that once I reset it I can set up my own security. as far as the windows license, I can get that off of the info from the computer.

how do I get to the bios without needing a password?

or should I say, how do I reboot and start in the bios, since using f8 doesn't work?

thanks for the replies and help!

S.T.A.R.S.

banned

On what "original" password do you mean exactly???
The Windows password?
If so,who the hell would sell a laptop with a password on it lol? :D
That's dumb.Especially if the laptop is new.

There is a way to remove the password and I know how to do it.It's not complicated really,but it's against this forum rules so I cannot tell you how. :(

As far as the BIOS,not ALL computers are designed to enter into the BIOS by pressing F8.To some it is DEL,to some it is F2,to some it is F3 and so on.
So you can either try all of them or simply stare at the BIOS splash screen to take a look at what key it says that it's needed to be pressed to enter the BIOS.

As far as you starting "fresh",you can either remove the password and then configure Windows settings how you want OR reinstall the OS completely which is a better idea in the case if the OS it came with works like crap which is the case in most cases since they put so much crappy software on it and it takes forever to load.Only in this case you WILL need to get the Windows 8 disk.There is no other way.

Geoff

VIP Member
You can restore the laptop from the BIOS.
Please explain...

well, as far as the security, I figure that once I reset it I can set up my own security. as far as the windows license, I can get that off of the info from the computer.

how do I get to the bios without needing a password?

or should I say, how do I reboot and start in the bios, since using f8 doesn't work?

thanks for the replies and help!
Is there a BIOS password, or just an OS password? F8 generally lets you select which mode to boot Windows into, such as safe mode. The key to enter the BIOS differs from motherboard to motherboard, but generally it's DEL or F2.

Okedokey

Most laptops with a restore partition can be activated via a bios entry screen, it will depend on the exact laptop. If the OP provides this, then it is usually as simple as pressing F2 or something to begin the restore to factory settings.

Geoff

VIP Member
Most laptops with a restore partition can be activated via a bios entry screen, it will depend on the exact laptop. If the OP provides this, then it is usually as simple as pressing F2 or something to begin the restore to factory settings.
Interesting, I have never seen a restore option in the BIOS.

coolerdayz

well, I did it!

apparently, in windows 8, you can simply goto your pc settings and select "reset" to reset the whole computer back to factory settings. as I did not have any info on the computer anyway, that's what I did. I selected, went to bed, and the next morning creating a new administrator account with my own info!

thanks guys for all the responses!

:):):):):):)