Help WTB Phenom 720,550 Unlockable

Mitsel

Open your eyes man. The ASRock board has THREE 16x slots. 16x/8x/4x. If just 2 is in crossfire it's 8x. If you run 3 way THEN it's only 4x.

You didn't communicate with a price to see if i could buy...still may be interested if my new buy doesn't unlock..

87dtna

Oh sorry....yeah I thought about it more and kinda decided against it since it's the best CPU I have.

Mitsel

Oh sorry....yeah I thought about it more and kinda decided against it since it's the best CPU I have.

:(:(:(:(:(:(
I was sure that you wouldn't change it as if it works as quad and at 3,8 it's an excellent performance!
I do hope that i will get lucky in my purchase :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I hope it won't be hard to unlock and to get stable as i don't know how to chance voltage and things like that....
Nobody reffered though what would be a good batch and things like that..
I can't wait to see if i got lucky!!:D:D:D:D:D

StrangleHold

Staff member
Wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157167

That asus board only does 4x in crossfire you know.

Open your eyes man. The ASRock board has THREE 16x slots. 16x/8x/4x. If just 2 is in crossfire it's 8x. If you run 3 way THEN it's only 4x.

Dont fall for that Asrock game. The only thing they did was split up the first PCIe X16 slot with a old Switch board, other then that there is no difference in the PCIe lanes on the boards. A 785 only allows 16 PCIe lanes for graphics, you cant run tri crossfire with it. The other slot runs off the southbridge. The board power set up cant even power two cards and they slaped a 4 pin molex power connector on it to make up for it if you use two cards. Its still just a 5 phase power setup with lowerend mosfets and chokes. Other than having solid caps the board is no better then the rest of Asrock boards. There is no way I would pay 100 bucks for that board. The Asus board is better hands down.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Nobody reffered though what would be a good batch and things like that..
I can't wait to see if i got lucky!!:D:D:D:D:D

The batch numbers only matter when they were first released. The fist batch numbers have already been bought up. Its just a hit and miss thing now. Between the 550 and 720, get the 720. If they dont unlock atleast you have a tri core.

Mitsel

The batch numbers only matter when they were first released. The fist batch numbers have already been bought up. Its just a hit and miss thing now. Between the 550 and 720, get the 720. If they dont unlock atleast you have a tri core.

Yeah finally i changed my mind about 550 and got 720.
I didn't want to go with a dual core in case of non unlocking..
I purchased a used 720 for 100$ and if everything goes bad ( i hope not ) i will have a tricore..
I don't know what would be the best mobo?
Asrock 770 series or the Gigabyte 770?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The Gigabyte. A better quality board. To unlock it on the Gigabyte set the ACC in the bios to Hybird and set all cores to auto or all.

bomberboysk

Doesnt matter...20 lanes is 20 lanes no matter how you split it up(Whether it be x16, x4 or x8,x8,x4)Plus if you are going crossfire you wouldnt want to go with a 785 chipset in the first place(its more or less just a 770 chipset with integrated graphics anyhow)

Also, ASrock is the low end sector of asus, Asus wouldn't use their low end sector to compete against themselves.
The Gigabyte. A better quality board. To unlock it on the Gigabyte set the ACC in the bios to Hybird and set all cores to auto or all.
+1

Last edited:

87dtna

Doesnt matter...20 lanes is 20 lanes no matter how you split it up(Whether it be x16, x4 or x8,x8,x4)Plus if you are going crossfire you wouldnt want to go with a 785 chipset in the first place(its more or less just a 770 chipset with integrated graphics anyhow)

Also, ASrock is the low end sector of asus, Asus wouldn't use their low end sector to compete against themselves.

:rolleyes: The asus board you linked too had one 16x and one 4x. With crossfire it would only be 4x/4x. The ASRock I linked too had 16x/8x/4x, thats 28 lanes VS 20. Crossfire is 8x/8x. The Asus board only has 2 slots.

The highest end ASRock is way better than the lowest end Asus. It's not competing, just increasing sales for those who don't know.

StrangleHold

Staff member
:rolleyes: The asus board you linked too had one 16x and one 4x. With crossfire it would only be 4x/4x. The ASRock I linked too had 16x/8x/4x, thats 28 lanes VS 20. Crossfire is 8x/8x. The Asus board only has 2 slots.

Your wrong on both accounts.

A 785 chipset only allows 16 PCIe lanes for Graphics.

The Asrock puts a Switch board for Switching 8 lanes to the second slot. If you have the switch board turned to 16 lanes for the main slot the second slot is dead. Which gives it CrossfireX support. But not Tri C/F. The third slot gets its 4 lanes from the southbridge and cant be used as a third slot for Tri C/F.

Lastly it’s down to expansion slots and the additional chipsets the board uses. Thanks to the 785G's CrossFireX support, ASRock has taken advantage of this and included a total of three PCIe x16 slots. 785G only has 16 lanes for graphics, so you either have a single x16 slot or 2 x8 slots for CrossFireX mode. (The last x16 slot is simply an x4 slot running off the Southbridge).
ASRock has been given a black mark also on its implementation of CrossFireX switching. Many other companies use digital switches to switch the PCI Express lanes, ASRock has gone and used a switch over paddle card, similar to the ones used when SLI was first released. This makes setting up CrossFireX a bit more of an effort if you already have one card installed. You have to take this video card out, switch the paddle around, reinstall that video card and then install the second video card... annoying to say the least.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/29...otherboard_mainstream_785g_tested/index3.html

The Asus has a main X16 slot. It doesnt need a old switch board, it electronically switches 8 lanes to the second slot if its occupied.

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 , support ATI CrossFireX™ technology (at one x16 or dual x8 link)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0WHm

In CrossfireX both boards run in 8X/8X.

Last edited:

87dtna

The Asus has a main X16 slot. It doesnt need a old switch board, it electronically switches 8 lanes to the second slot if its occupied.

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 , support ATI CrossFireX™ technology (at one x16 or dual x8 link)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0WHm

In CrossfireX both boards run in 8X/8X.

It says right on ASrock's site that the board does 3 way crossfire.

You also linked to a different and more expensive board than he did. It's even a 790x chipset not 785g.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fcsXWSxnhzZE9rnR&templete=2

Here's the one he linked too. Crossfire on that board is 4x/4x.

Here's a like priced ASrock board ($5 cheaper actually)

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=M3A785GXH/128M

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
It says right on ASrock's site that the board does 3 way crossfire.

You also linked to a different and more expensive board than he did. It's even a 790x chipset not 785g.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fcsXWSxnhzZE9rnR&templete=2

Here's the one he linked too. Crossfire on that board is 4x/4x.

Here's a like priced ASrock board ($5 cheaper actually)

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=M3A785GXH/128M

The boards I linked to in my first post had nothing to do with C/F. It was the quality of the boards.

Somebody else brought up a link to the other Asus board.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-785g-motherboard,2441-3.html
This Review does say the Asrock can be run in Tri C/F at 8x/8x/4x. But who in their right mind would pay for three cards to run in 8/8/4. its a gimmick.

I,m talking about the quality of the boards, not the little extra bells/flashing lights.

Which do you think would be better? To add a X4 slot or put a better 10 phase power setup on the board. I wonder which one is cheaper to do, Hum!

Would you rather have a ash tray that played music when opened and a air freshener on your rear view mirror. Or a better engine in your car?

87dtna

The boards I linked to in my first post had nothing to do with C/F. It was the quality of the boards.

Somebody else brought up a link to the other Asus board.

I know, but the topic of posting was about comparing the best 785g board both asus and ASrock had to offer. In post 51 I quoted the board you linked too, not even being a 785g board.
BTW, I can't overclock any CPU I have better on my gigabyte board that I did with my $55 asrock board. They both hit walls at the same clocks.

Then you say all this crap about the third 16x slot on the ASRock and how I'm wrong that it's not for 3 way, when it says 3 way Xfire right on asrocks website. So whatever.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I know, but the topic of posting was about comparing the best 785g board both asus and ASrock had to offer. In post 51 I quoted the board you linked too, not even being a 785g board.
BTW, I can't overclock any CPU I have better on my gigabyte board that I did with my $55 asrock board. They both hit walls at the same clocks.

Then you say all this crap about the third 16x slot on the ASRock and how I'm wrong that it's not for 3 way, when it says 3 way Xfire right on asrocks website. So whatever.

I was talking about the two boards I linked to in post 33. In post 36 you said wrong because of the crossfire of the Asrock board. My point didnt having anything to do with if a board could do C/F or not, its the build quality of the boards.

In post 37 g25racer gave a link to the 790 asus board.

In post 49 you said the Asrock was 16/8/4.(28) lanes. In C/F the board would run 8/8/4 (20) lanes. The first two slots share lanes, the 3rd. slot gets 4 lanes from the southbridge.

The Asus has a Stand alone X16 slot. The second slot get 4 lanes from the southbridge just like the 3rd. slot on the Asrock. In C/F the Asus is 16/4 for a total of (20) lanes.

In post 53 I said I found another review that said the Asrock could do Tri C/F.

My point in all this has nothing to do with if a board can do C/F or not, which seems to be pulled that way to distract from the point. I would not buy either board for the C/F.

My point is the quality of the boards. Asrock uses lower quality PCBs and components .

87dtna

OK. I missed that you said in post 53 about the 3 way CF my bad.

I understand your point, but my experience with ASRock boards has been very good. And as I've stated a few times now, I have not been able to overclock on my gigabyte board any better with any CPU I have more than I could with the $55 ASrock board I used to have.
This one-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157149

And I've owned a couple other very low end ASRock boards. I just sold an N61p-s board which is a $45 board, which overclocked better BTW than the M4A78 Asus board (and $85 board) I have in my backup rig. But that ASrock board only has 2 memory slots and only 1000 mhz hyper transport.

Mitsel

Ok guys i have find someone that sells an Asus and an Asrock motherboard.
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo or M3A790GMH/128M?
The question is which one you believe it is better for me to buy (the difference in price is 5 euro costs more the Asrock,this is not a problem of course).
I want you to consider that i need the one that has better performance onboard graphics,maybe a little overclocking and of course possibility of unlocking..
Any other suggestion or whatever letting me know.
I need your answers!!
Thanks!!!!

moneymoguls

I have a AMD Phenom II X2 550 on a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard. The motherboard came with overclocking software that can overclock while in windows. It is awesome.

I highly recommend Asus.