Help :(

jaysstandish

Hey guys,
Unfortunately I bought my computer from HP instead of building my own but I did get it at a very good price (Almost cheaper than building myself) But I have a question about my computer... I can't find out what my mother board is!?!? I've opened it up and looked up system preferences can someone give me an easy solution? Also is it possible to overclock even though I bought from a computer making company? I do overclock my GPU though so I can play better games EX:H2 vista.

Langers2k7

Just so you know, the 8500GT isn't specifically designed for gaming. More for less demanding 3d applications and video editing. Any overclock will be insubstantial and won't give any noticeable increase in performance.

I'm sorry to say it but you should have built it yourself. You have, unfortunately, got what you paid for with that HP.
You could, of course, buy a new card (such as a 8800GT or GTS) and you'll have a nice gaming rig there.

jaysstandish

Thanks for the response. With the research I have done many companies say that the 8500 gt is for average gamers which is what I am. Also I have overclocked it from 475mhz to 610mhz and there is a notable difference in framerate and quality of the image.

-Jay

aSc1@3

you can hardly ever oc a brand-name system. to find out about the mobo, first if you open up the case, you will know all the slots and connectors and such, and you will also probably find a brand-name or a model number that you can google.

jaysstandish

cool. How would I remove HP from the windows vista? Would I have to buy a new mobo and delete my whole HD and reinstall vista to technically make it home built?

Langers2k7

Thanks for the response. With the research I have done many companies say that the 8500 gt is for average gamers which is what I am. Also I have overclocked it from 475mhz to 610mhz and there is a notable difference in framerate and quality of the image.

-Jay

Yeah, it's in the interest of those companies to advertise it as a 'gaming card', when in reality if you ask anyone who knows what they're talking about, it's actually a heap of crap :D

Also, if you re-install Windows, it should be a nice blank canvas and be free of HP's annoyances. Unless, of course, there are built-in restrictions to the bios, in which case it becomes a lot more complicated.

How long have you had the system? Any chance of taking it back and getting your money back so you can build a proper system?

crazyvaj

Hey guys,
Unfortunately I bought my computer from HP instead of building my own but I did get it at a very good price (Almost cheaper than building myself) But I have a question about my computer... I can't find out what my mother board is!?!? I've opened it up and looked up system preferences can someone give me an easy solution? Also is it possible to overclock even though I bought from a computer making company? I do overclock my GPU though so I can play better games EX:H2 vista.

Its best if you want to oc is to upgrade your mb.. You Know what you have already just buy a mb that will support all the stuff that was on the hp and go that route.. Im sure your running on ddr2 800/667 rams and a socket 775 Cpu... Your cheapest route I think... Your hard drive might just boot up with the new mb, but remember to install drivers ... thoughts any one????:D

jaysstandish

Yeah, it's in the interest of those companies to advertise it as a 'gaming card', when in reality if you ask anyone who knows what they're talking about, it's actually a heap of crap :D

Also, if you re-install Windows, it should be a nice blank canvas and be free of HP's annoyances. Unless, of course, there are built-in restrictions to the bios, in which case it becomes a lot more complicated.

How long have you had the system? Any chance of taking it back and getting your money back so you can build a proper system?
Thanks for the info about the companies saying how good it is, I would like to upgrade to 8800 gt but for now the 8500 does everything I need it to do... so if I were to upgrade what would I do with my 8500... sell it? Also could you give me some instructions on how to reinstall windows I donm't want to mess up and my computer to screw up... and unfortunately I can not return it I got it this christmas.

-Jay

Langers2k7

Ok. Well first of all you need to find your Windows install disk.

After having found it, go into your BIOS (if you don't know what this is, it's basically a settings screen for your motherboard) and find the option on one of the pages that lets you change the first boot device to 'CD-ROM' or similar.

Save this setting and exit your BIOS. Now place the Windows install disc in the drive tray, and if you're prompted to, press a key to boot from the disc. From here, you follow the on-screen instructions to format your hard drive [you WILL lose ANY data you have saved on it] and then to install it again.

Once the installation is in motion, all you've got to do is sit back and wait until it asks for your input, and at this point it is very simple.

After this, you should have a nice clean install :)

Any questions just ask me

jaysstandish

No install discs came with the computer just a partition of the HD dedicated to bring back to factory settings (with HP into it). Well I really appreciate all of your help and all but I guess I'll just delete all the HP software and only be able to OC my graphics card. I have some new plans for my computer 1. I'm going to buy a new case that hopefully tells you the temp. inside and has a clear view on the side panel so it looks cool. Get the 500 W PSU and get the 8800gt. Maybe some fans and LED's Do you have any suggestions? Also if I was to sell my PSU, and 8500 gt how would I do that? Just put it on ebay put it in a plastic bag and ship it off?

Langers2k7

I would suggest that if you want a nice looking rig, check out the Antec nine-hundred. This is gamers case and really looks the business.

I would suggest you get some LED fans and cold-cathode tubes to brighten up the interior a bit, and as for your old components - just bubble wrap them and stick them in either brown paper or a brown cardboard box of a suitable size. You might be surprised what you get for them, especially if you describe them well and give a good picture or 2.

Good luck.