Help!!!

Jiffyman

Yesterday I was working on my computer switching out Amd XP 1.66 gig for a 2.0 gig. When I was finished putting the processor in the computer I fired her up the computer went on for a few seconds then went off. In my head I was thinking no biggie just a bad processor so I took the 2.0 out and put the 1.6 in. I turned the computer and it went right back off what could be the problem???????????.

Even though I have a better computer already for the case I still have use for this one.

skidude

Second Question: How far does it get before it shuts off?? Does it get as far as the Windows loading screen??

Geoff

VIP Member
probably damaged your motherboard, if it beeps then its probably your psu, if there are no beeps and nothing comes on the monitor, then its probably the mobo.

Jiffyman

When I press the power button it goes on then it goes right back off. The computer doesn't even beep before it turns off.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
skidude said:
What about the power button??? Is it plugged correctly into the mobo??

the computer wouldn't turn on in the first place if the power button is wrong.

WEll lets do a process of elimination: Can't be harddrive/cd drivse. No beep = good ram, good processor and vidcard. Leaves us with psu, mobo. Try using another psu and see if it boots up.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
WEll lets do a process of elimination: Can't be harddrive/cd drivse. No beep = good ram, good processor and vidcard. Leaves us with psu, mobo. Try using another psu and see if it boots up.
You forgot ... "dead speaker" :)