Here's a funny one...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
My son had a text file on his computer's desktop. He changed its extension to exe and double-clicked on it. :eek:
Besides the evident runtime error, the file can't be deleted or renamed even after restart. XP says that file is used by another process.
Any idea what happened (and how to get rid of that file)?

tonymaclennan

try right clicking the file, and going to open with, then choose notepad, or the program you used, alternative way is to open the application, notepad and open, select all files, then choose that.
This should open the file, then save it.
It may be running in processes, pess keyboard keys 'control', 'shift' and 'escape' in that order but keep you finger on them as you press each of them. This will open windows task manager, select the processes tab, then find a process that looks like the file name or description, click on it, then select 'end process' click yes when the confirm dialog box appears.

This may work, try it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot to mention that cannot delete that file even in safe mode...
LOL ive only encountered this a few times without being able to delete in safemode... fire up the console and delete it from there -- it can delete/access anything included fancy encrypted filesystem files :) (not to mention your password files)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
fire up the console and delete it from there
WOW! It worked! Thanks! DOS rules! :)
But what happened? I can't find any explication for this fake exe being used by another process or user...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! It worked! Thanks! DOS rules!
Yeah .. i cant remember what i did when i messed mine up... i think it was when i started removing stuff from the kernal and it wouldnt boot anymore

But what happened? I can't find any explication for this fake exe being used by another process or user...
Who the hell cares? :p You got it working heehee