Hey guys, I'm upgrading my PC

Jerad

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but i'd really appreciate some advice.
So I really want to upgrade my PC. I recently bought BF1 and I have to keep it on low settings and even then I get frame rate drops and massive screen rips.
My current specifications are:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 679 MHz
ASUSTek Z87-A (1150 SOCKET)
GeForce GTX 960 (4095MB)
931 GB Seagate ST1000VX
111GB Intel SSD

So, in your opinion, what should I upgrade first to get better gameplay from BF1? I've been thinking about upgrading from my i5 4460 to an i7 4790, or maybe from my 960 to a 1070.
Help me out guys! :D

Also sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong subcategory :/

Attachments

• My PC Build.png
    My PC Build.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely upgrade your video card first. What make and model of power supply do you have?

Jerad

My power supply is a modular 650, I think corsair made it. Also, thank you for moving my thread to the appropriate section haha.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can afford both cpu and gpu then do it. If not, then upgrade video card first. Your power supply is fine. Really don't need the I7, would get the 4670K or 4690K. Just make sure you update the bios if you get the 4690K.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thought you were going with a 1070? If all you play is BF then wouldn't need the 1080. What other demanding games do you play?

Jerad

I haven't quite decided on which GPU I want, I play games like R6: Siege, the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, BF4, etc.
1070 would be nice, but a 1080 would be epic. I just really want awesome graphical settings at stable fps.
Also, why does my RAM say its only at 679 MHZ?

Laquer Head

I haven't quite decided on which GPU I want, I play games like R6: Siege, the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, BF4, etc.
1070 would be nice, but a 1080 would be epic. I just really want awesome graphical settings at stable fps.
Also, why does my RAM say its only at 679 MHZ?

Witcher 3 is the only title mentioned that actually benefits from the 1080, its gonna be overkill for the rest mentioned, and many other titles. If money isn't an issue, by all means go to the 1080, but there is nothing wrong with the 1070, and its more economical!~

spirit

Staff member
The GTX 960 isn't a bad card at all but maybe it's not powerful enough to run what you want. I'd say your CPU and GPU are holding you back, but upgrade the GPU first to a 1070 or a 1080 and then if it's still not performing how it should then it's another issue elsewhere or maybe your CPU isn't cutting it.

Bernal

Adding more memory is the easiest and most accessible PC upgrade you can make. It’s affordable, you can do it on almost any machine, and it doesn't require much tech know-how.

Laquer Head

Adding more memory is the easiest and most accessible PC upgrade you can make. It’s affordable, you can do it on almost any machine, and it doesn't require much tech know-how.

You better do a write-up for us, please add step by step pictures too!!