Hey. P.C keeps restarting, why?

Fatmike

Just like to say hi to all the forum members. :)

I'm not quite sure why, but my P.C keeps re-starting for no reason. It usually happens when i'm watching a video (half way through matrix 3 now! :mad: ) or playing games etc.

Sometimes it just goes black and re-starts, or sometimes that blue screen comes up with a message something like "IRQl not equal to..." or something.

It's on windows 2000 professional (NT), and that's about all i know. As you can see, i'm merely a beginner when it comes to P.C's!

Any help derely appreciated!

Many thanks, Mike. :)

Edit: Also i hope this is in the correct section? I couldn't see where else it would fit.

Oh, and if anyone knows, but i need to do it in steps or something, feel free to add me on msn - [email protected]

Mike. :)

72montecarlo

Seems like you may be having a heat problem. If its only occuring during cpu intensive tasks that makes most sense to me. Heat problems can cause random restarts with black screens and blue screen memory dumps. Have you changed any hardware in the computer recently, or tried overclocking anything?

Fatmike

Nah, we just bought the P.C, and haven't modded it or anything! :(

I doubt it's over clocked too. (N)

Mike...

Fatmike

72montecarlo said:
What motherboard and cpu are in it? Did you purchase it from a reputable place of business?

Yeah, the shop's sound, my mum bought loads of P.C's from there for her old business. However i don't have a clue about the motherboard/cpu etc. Where would i find this. (Contol Panel > ...?)

Cheers for helping so far. :)

Mike.

72montecarlo

Thats alright go ahead and download this program cpuZ . its real small program and will allow me to figure out what you have. Once you get it on the first tab you will see Processor information. Go ahead and tell me the Name and Codename as well as the Core Speed. Then go to Mainboard and See who the Manufacturer is and underneath that the Model. Lastly go to Memory tab and tell me what it has under the general information box for size, and channel #. Then everything it has in the Modules Information box.

72montecarlo

Meant to ask what the specification on the cpu was to. What is the FSB and Multiplier for the Cpu. What type of memory is it according to the program? ex. PC3200 , and what frequency is it at? Im just trying to be thorough cause i had a very similar problem to this which i was stumped on for the longest time but it turned out the memory was running faster then it shoulda been and not synchronously with the cpu.

72montecarlo

Your welcome i have nothing better to do so its not a big deal. :) Since everything seems to be ok i would try lowering the speed of your memory to match your cpu FSB. Its much more efficient and you get better performance when they're running synchronously. You will need to go into your system bios so when your computer is starting up hit 'del' button. more then likely this is it if not it should say on screen "Hit ... to enter bios/setup" Try to find the tab or section that has the cpu information in it. More then likely these will be set to automatically do what it thinks is best so u need to change the memory section to manual so you can change the speed. It may say something like 'by speed' or 'by h/m'. You will know you have it when you see in the options different ratios like 5:4 6:5 3:1 2:1 and what not. You want to set this to 1:1. This will make the memory run at the same fsb as the cpu which is optimal and may fix your problem. Once you do this make sure you save then exit. Run a game for awhile or try to watch a movie the WHOLE thing and see if it still dies on you. If you get stuck somewhere let me know and i try to help you. I will be going to bed soon so hopefully you can figure it out. lol

Last edited:

Fatmike

Right, i've had several looks, and just realised the CPU temp is 77 degrees (celcious), and isn't 60 right for an athlon?!

However, i can't seem to find the bit to change it to manual, i'll have another look now.

Cheers, Mike. :)

Fatmike

Hmm, it's done it again, but this time come up with a different blue screen. It says:

"A device driver has corrupted the memory pool"

???

Mike.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, we just bought the P.C, and haven't modded it or anything
Doesnt mean it wont overheat in a hurry

Amd athlon XP Palomino
There's your reason. Them buggers overheat real fast (but it still might not be the problem). Have a look at the ASUS monitor ... have it start loggin the tempertature every 10 seconds or so and then watch your movie.

Right, i've had several looks, and just realised the CPU temp is 77 degrees (celcious), and isn't 60 right for an athlon?!
There's the reason, the mobo kills the computer at 85º which isnt too far off. If your CPU is hitting those temps then you're memory might be getting scrambled from the heat too. As for "normal" temps, my Palomino-2000 ran 40º idle, 55º stress with a top end of about 60º in the summer and a low end of 32º in the winter

"A device driver has corrupted the memory pool"
Got heatspreaders on the RAM? What HSF are you running? And for reference sake, what's the ambient room temperature like?

teleport.gif

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fatmike said:

thats too hot. i would bet that is the main reason. was that temp while u were watching dvd's or was it at startup or something? if thats idle then its definetly heat, and if that load then you are probably heating it past 80C after a few mins of intense CPU usage. the mobo will detect an unsafe temperature and shutdown if it runs it too long. mine is set to 75C and i think after 1 min of running that it auto shutsdown. i would invest in a new CPU cooler with a powerful fan and possibly heatspreaders for your ram if they are hot to the touch. after that you should be fine.

Fatmike

Ah right, cheers guys! :)

So i need to get a better fan, and a cpu cooler. These will be looked into.

Also, earlier, the guy said to change the speed ratios in start up. The only options i have are: "10/15", "11/15", "12/15", "13/15", "14/15" and "15/15". It's currently set at 10/15, would changing that help?

CHeers guys. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Also, earlier, the guy said to change the speed ratios in start up
Wouldnt it be better to get a fan controller and have absolute control over it yourself? :)

Fatmike

Urrm, maybe, if i knew what one was and where i could get one! :S

Cheers, Mike. :)

I left it on all day today with Kazza running, and it didn't crash, but i'm yet to see tonight again...

Mike. :)