Hi guys

91Jmay

I am thinking of foraying into the world of building my own desktop computer. I have researched the relevant parts and they all (just about) fit into my budget. I want a middle to high end gaming system and from what i've read the products i have selected should be acceptable for this.

Just a few quick questions:

Intel Core i5 650 Processor

Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive 500 GB

Intel DP55WB Motherboard - Intel P55

XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770

These are the CPU, Motherboard, Video card and Hard drive i have selected but the Motherboard is a slightly cheaper option compared to the processor and video card. My question is, will it run the video card and processor well enough or do i need to splash abit more cash? I am also wondering if anyone has any experiance dealing with TigerDirect as this will be the place i am buying all the parts from (to minimize shipping costs).

Thanks in advance ( I will suffix this with the fact that i am a novice in the hardware department and the parts I have selected were based on reviews and price combination).

Remeniz

Go for the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 instead of the Intel mobo, the Gigabyte motherboard is much better. Consider the i5 750 CPU instead of the 650; quad core and double the cache is well worth the extra $'s. Also try and spend a little bit more for the GTX460 graphics card otherwise go for a HD 4890. I don't rate the HD5770 at all to be honest.

Apart from that, some nice RAM and a PSU will give you a nice rig.

:)

Last edited:

91Jmay

Thanks mate, I've swapped the mobo and video card for the one you suggested and its actually cheaper than i'd budgeted. Infact its exactly the right price difference that means i can upgrade to the 750 without spending more. Thanks alot.

My projected build looks like this (inc. the changes you suggested):
Intel Core i5 750 Processor
Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX460
Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
Power Up / 550-Watt / ATX
NZXT Zero 2 Craft Series Full Tower Case
Planar PJ19W 19" Class Widescreen LCD Monitor
Windows 7 as my OS

Is there anything else you don't like?

Remeniz

Now that there is a nice gaming rig. Quad core 8MB cache CPU that OC's like crazy and a great motherboard that's stable and will take the CPU to high OC's.

Go for the 1GB GTX460 and a 64 bit version of W7.

I'm not sure on the PSU, i'll let someone else comment on that, but everything else is sweet.

91Jmay

Ok thanks :) its very reasonable priced as well - the main reason price is an issue is that i'm buying from scratch (monitor, keyboard, speakers and even a mouse!) because i'm going to uni in a few months.

I heard PSU was really important so i picked quite a pricey one i think, i'm not sure if 550 watts is enough though.

Remeniz

Yea it's pretty good money for the stock performance and the OC performance that you can achieve. The PSU is important, like the tyres on a performance car.

550W is enough for the set up i'm just a little unsure about the make. I like the Corsair's, the Silverstone's, Antec's, Be Quiet's and Enermax's.

Aastii

VIP Member
I would change your power supply. Power Up make cheap units.

550W is plenty, however only if using a decent unit.

Corsair, XFX, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Silverstone, Be Quiet!, Thermaltake Toughpower, BFG, Enermax, OCZ, Seasonic. They are brands you should be looking at getting

91Jmay

Okay thanks, just got to price hunt now. Most of the stuff i'm going to order from the USA i think so i'll have to try and buy in bulk and negotiate a shipping fee.

Also decided to plump for Corsair VX550W 550W ATX Power Supply, which did cost more but if the brand is more reputable then i'm willing to pay for it.

Last edited: