High Definition Audio Device Driver Issue

Basically this is an ODC issue, that has plagued my PC for as long as I can recall, the sound only my PC actually works, I run a basic sound setup using only the on-board sound, which does support 7.1 Surround, however I only have a basic pair of 2 way speakers connected and they work fine, as does when I output to my TV connected like a second monitor via HDMI, I can switch the sound from TV to speakers when required and it all seems to be working just fine regardless of the fact Windows is telling me I have a sound driver issue.

Attached is a screen prints to show what windows is telling me

upload_2017-6-8_22-38-18.png

Basically its stating that I have a missing driver, it recommends I run the troubleshooter, the troubleshooter run and detects the issue, it tried the solution of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, only to report that the problem has not been resolved, and leaves me the missing driver indicated just like it was showing before, yet sound continues to work exactly the same regardless.

So basically its an OCD problem where I just want to ether fix the issue (assuming windows is correct and something is not quite 100% right with my sound drivers), or eliminate windows indicating this as a warning and allow me to continue happy with the sound working just as it does.

A solution to this would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-8_22-37-16.png
    upload_2017-6-8_22-37-16.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2017-6-8_22-37-44.png
    upload_2017-6-8_22-37-44.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on the high definition audio device and click on properties, click on the details tab, change property to hard ware ID and give me the 4 digit vendor and device Id numbers. They look like this. ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy where x and y are 4 alphanumeric digits. What motherboard or model of pc do you have?

Right click on the high definition audio device and click on properties, click on the details tab, change property to hard ware ID and give me the 4 digit vendor and device Id numbers. They look like this. ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy where x and y are 4 alphanumeric digits. What motherboard or model of pc do you have?

Hardware ID's

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101

The Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, as per following link

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77-D3H-rev-11#ov

After a little research I know what the problem is, its ever since the windows 10 Anniversary update last year, there has been an issue with trying to run the VIA Audio HD Vdeck with windows 10 64bit edition.

The 32 bit and 64 bit versions of vdeck are on the same official download file, and it turns out no matter how hard you try if you run the standard setup from the official file it will always give you the 32 bit version even when your running 64 bit.

SO basically you need to install vdeck to fix the missing driver issue, only you can't install the 64 bit version without hacking it, and the 32 bit version wont work, although the sound still works without vdeck, so without hacking it if you are running windows 64 bit edition your better off not installing vdeck at all and at least still having sound via a more basic windows selected driver.

However it can be hacked, and although it sucks that its been nearly a year since the Anniversary update and VIA have not bothered to resolve this issue in an official sense by doing something as simple as providing a 64 bit only version that users could easily download and install with zero chance of getting crossed over to the 32 bit version, there is a hack on youtube that works, I will share the link below.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running Bios version F23b? If not, you need to in order for that to work.