High Pitched Screech

B_Wease

Hey everyone! I'm currently going crazy with this high pitched noise that is coming from my computer. I'm almost 100% sure that it is coming from my PSU. I've tried funneling the sound w/ a rolled up piece of paper to see exactly where it is coming from. And I couldn't pin point where it was truly coming from. However every time I tap the side of my computer the noise stops. So I opened my case and started tapping things to see when the noise would stop for a second. I lightly started tapping everything and when I got to my PSU every time I lightly tapped it the noise would stop. So it must be something running in the PSU that is making this noise.

It's an Antec 850 Quattro. I'm running 2 video cards and a AMD Hex Core I had this problem before w/ the same power supply, and eventually it stopped making the noise. But it's nonstop and hasn't quit for about a week now. I'm sure it's still under Antec warranty but I'm in a situation where I need my computer for my online schooling, I don't have enough money to buy a new one at the moment.

Has anyone dealt with Antec before? I'm gonna end up calling and seeing if they would send me a PSU before I send mine back, that way I don't have to be out a computer for a couple weeks.

Thanks guys!

B_Wease

StrangleHold

Staff member
If its not the fan making the noise, you got a choke/coil whine. Most of the time, not a big deal within itself but can drive you crazy. If its still under warranty you could send it back. If not you can open it up and find the one thats doing it and put like hot glue/superglue on it to stop. But be carefull, a power supply holds a charge and can zap the hell out of you.

B_Wease

So what should I do to make sure that I wont get zapped. (Besides being stupid)
Any special tools / gloves?