hijack this problem i have please

Punk

Staff member
Oh woow this is worst than I thought.

Ok let's get the file back:

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

When you've done it, try SDFix.

texaspete

cool gonna try this now, but where would i find my administrator password in my pc. coz i dont remeber setting one

Punk

Staff member
Ok this is a problem I've never encountered before, I'll ask for help from other members.
Ceewi1, Buzz1927 or Gamemaster will reply to you ASAP, then once we're done with that problem, we'll continue on cleaning your computer.

GameMaster

Could you try and rename SDFix?

When you install it ( and you did, I reckon ), go to the SDFix folder in C:/. Right click on the folder and rename it to some neutral name ( i.e. school ). That's just in case the problem is really big.
Now the most important is to rename SDFix.exe to i.e. school.exe.

Now try to start the program!

GameMaster

In fact when I say start the program, I mean rename ( as I said ) and then just double click on the SDFix icon.

ceewi1

VIP Member
GameMaster, if I'm reading this thread correctly, texaspete is receiving the error when he attempts to follow Punk's instructions in restoring ntoskrnl.exe via the Recovery Console.

texaspete, could you please clarify your current situation. Am I correct in the above assumption? Are you currently unable to boot into either Normal Mode or Safe Mode? What is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive?

texaspete

i'm on a laptop so i only have cd driver but dont know wot letter, i guess its my c drive i think. an yes i'm following Punk's instructions in restoring ntoskrnl.exe

Punk

Staff member
Yes the problem is coming from ntoskrnl.exe because he can't boot in safe mode because of that file being corrupted/missing. The instructions I gave him to restore it didn't work, so that's the problem.

Any ideas?

GameMaster

Chkdsk /r option, with Windows cd in drive.

Your option looked nice, though it didn't work... any other option includes Windows reinstalling...

We should see what ceewi1 suggests.

GameMaster

OK, let's kill some time before ceewi1 answers, and you're online.
  • Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
  • Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
  • In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
  • Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password ( which you don't have , so just enter your administrator account ).
  • Once at the recovery console type chkdsk /r
  • Once completed type exit and see if issue is resolved.
This is my best attemp to help :D

texaspete

hi done what you said and it said this

38853168 kilobytes total disk space
12974552 kilobytes are available
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
9713292 total allocation units on disk
3243638 allocation units availble on disk