holy shit!!

AdmnPower

VIP Member
am i not doing something right, my cooling pad really doesnt help the temperature much, it's just there, more of a power consumer than a cooler

PC eye

banned
Maybe you should try monitoring voltages rather then temps. If a component is heating up far above average you may have something pulling current to ground. A failing component on the controller card arcing to ground would soon see high drive temps. The other possibility while being remote is a false reading if problems other then a high temp are being seen with the drive.

Crypto

I have an inspiron 4150. Runs around 135-140 all day long. Been running for years now. My fan never really runs hard till it gets over 140. Not saying it's not bad, just saying mine is like that. I can't even touch the bottom of mine its so hot! Insane!! BTW- fires up at 80F

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The battery packs can generate heat there fast. Any good sized 12v battery with enough amps will heat up fast. That's probably why you see that much heat if the battery is still there charging. Sounds like you need a cooling station more then a docking station there.

Crypto

PC eye said:
The battery packs can generate heat there fast. Any good sized 12v battery with enough amps will heat up fast. That's probably why you see that much heat if the battery is still there charging. Sounds like you need a cooling station more then a docking station there.
I thought you might be on to something there, but slid my battery out. It's cold. I guess the charging is monitored and shuts down when full. However, with the battery out, I beat my temp will drop. The HDD sits right behind it.

PC eye

banned
If you are pulling a good amount of current to charge a battery while running a favorite program like gaming that would see temps rise. But if the unit is sitting idle without even a battery in something else is heating up by pulling power there. I haven't even run a notebook for some years now having disassembled and reassembled some 70+ units that were being scraped and replaced by one company. Those "antiques" had rechargable C batteries in those not anything that looked like more then an answering machine these days. The lcd display on those looked the screen on an IPod with a microcasstte drive instead of a hard drive. You wrote your own programs there along with the few included.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
jp198780 said:
in my Solo, the CPU's at 50C right now, i've had it running 4 1hr. 36mins., this temp ok?

probably, my desktops video card idles at that temp at stock settings, i know thats not what we're taking about but just an example

PC eye

banned
In a desktop that would be slightly high since there is generally better cooling. But that temp is well within operating temps. Remember a laptop lacks the ability to add in the various 3rd party coolers and depends on the air surrounding the unit to keep it within the norm. You certainly wouldn't leave one out in the sun for very long. They are not actually intended for the constant all day on type of use for that and other reasons. If you ever have concerns about temps then turn it off for about 1/2hr to an hour to allow it to cool down for awhile. The location away from any heat source helps too.

PC eye

banned
Even at 72F normal room temp you should only see a slightly higher cpu temp of the low 50Cs with a portable as long as the thermal bond and cooling method is intact. If you game and see temps climb to the 60Cs you know you have a problem then. The main problem with any portable is that lack of being able to add additional cooling while there are some laptop coolers available that you simply slide the unit into. To see what one looks like go to http://www.overclockers.com/articles1071/ This could help with those high temps seen with the keyboards possibly?

4W4K3

VIP Member
A pretty easy method to cool off your laptop, is to use an external USB laptop. When your hands are on top of the built-in keyboard, the heat from the system is "blocked" from rising. You essentailly trap the heat from going anywhere with your big sweaty mits.

Plus, you save you built-in keyboard from finger grime, alot use wear and tear, and the palmrests wont discolor at all.

PC eye

banned
4W4K3 said:
A pretty easy method to cool off your laptop, is to use an external USB laptop. When your hands are on top of the built-in keyboard, the heat from the system is "blocked" from rising. You essentailly trap the heat from going anywhere with your big sweaty mits.

Plus, you save you built-in keyboard from finger grime, alot use wear and tear, and the palmrests wont discolor at all.

If your unit is stationary the ideal would be a usb keyboard. I think that is what you are trying to get across there.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Motoxrdude said:
You mean keyboard?

Hehe, yes. I just got done paying the bills...quite frazzled...:rolleyes:

PC eye said:
If your unit is stationary the ideal would be a usb keyboard. I think that is what you are trying to get across there.

Yes, basically :D