"HOME MADE" online data back up system

fc_karpaty

Does anyone know how to set up a 'home made' online data backup system?
I believe that I would need an encryption and compression software and a server. Data transfers will be small, only about 6oGB. How would I set this up?
Please let me know or point towards a source where I can get this information.
Thanks in advance.

Igor

heyman421

banned
you just run a ghost or backup program on the main computer, and rather than backing up to a disc, or secondary hard drive, you backup to a network drive on the server.

It's pointless to set up a server just for this. Installing a second hard drive into the compyuter you want to backup does the exact same thing, and costs a lot less money in both purchasing cost and operational costs.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Why not look for some Network Attached Storage. You could run it locally on your network, and many allow for FTP access as well.

Geoff

VIP Member
Online storage for 60GB wouldnt so much be tough, but would take forever. Say you have a standard home DSL/Cable internet connection, with a upload speed of 512Kb (which is being generous, and assuming that you are able to use 100% of that bandwidth), it would take ~273 hours of continuous uploading (~11.5 days) to upload all of the 60GB's of data. And as dragon said, many ISP's have limits as to how much you can upload/download a month.

heyman421

banned
I've never heard of an ISP having a limit.... I've downloaded well over 200GB in the last 2 weeks.

And are you sure he meant ONLINE online? He may have mispoke and meant a LAN server on his local network.....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've never heard of an ISP having a limit.... I've downloaded well over 200GB in the last 2 weeks.
Download and upload are two different things. I can blow out a terbyte download/month without my ISP caring but if i do anything over 125GB/month upload, i get a phone call :p

fc_karpaty

On you're home connection, i don't think so... 60Gb is big enough to exceed most limits on most plans, aswell as having upload speeds capped to usually 300-400 Kbps it would just never happen

dragon

60 Gb is the uncompressed data, it would need to be compressed and encrypted to be sent over the internet. I cannot store information on a second drive as mentioned because this information is important and must be stored at an offsite location in case of fire, water or other damage to the server.
What can I use to compress the data so it's easy to send over the internet?
What encryption is recommended for such task?
Thanks.