Home Network Issues

cappy2

This might be a tough question to answer as I have already tried by contacting my ISP and I didn't get very far with their response. As a result of extensive ongoing use of smart phones and other devices, I have been forced to cut down on internet use for my kids. I felt the best way to do this is by controlling their access to our home wifi. I am the only one who has a hard-wired device in the house. My ISP has a modem login site where I can locate individual devices and block access anytime. The problem is that my 15-year old son has found a way to bypass this access block. So when I go into the site and try to block his access, it will not allow me to save my block settings! There are other ways to disable the wifi but they create additional problems for myself. I would prefer to

Can anyone suggest any ways or ideas as to how I can get this access block to work and overturn whatever it is he is doing? If you need more details on anything including the ISP, modem, etc., don't hesitate to ask. I would really like to regain control for the health and safety of my kids! THANKS.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does he know the login information? Without that, there really is on way to block your actions. What error messages are you getting you try to save it?

cappy2

He knows the 2 networks and corresponding passwords. But I log into our modem and block his devices. He finds a way to block me from doing that. I took a screenshot and attached it here. When I try blocking most devices, it works. When I try blocking ones he is using, I get the screenshot. It won't allow me to block him. There is something he is doing to prevent me from blocking him...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 7

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How do you know its him that is blocking it? That error means nothing. As long as he doesn't know the login information for the router to change settings there is nothing he can do to block it. Knowing the wireless network names and passwords doesn't mean you have the ability to stop from being blocked. Have you tried resetting the modem? I just don't understand what he could be doing to block that, doesn't make sense. @beers may have some insight on this.

cappy2

I am certain he has found a way. He is a smart little SOB! I know he is blocking because I am unable to complete the blocking function and he is still able to use it. One way might be to change the wifi network - we have 2. One is a 5.0g and the other is a 2.4g. But I have tried to block both and he manages to find a way to cut through the block - or finds a way to stop me from completing the block access function.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I know he is blocking because I am unable to complete the blocking function and he is still able to use it. But I have tried to block both and he manages to find a way to cut through the block - or finds a way to stop me from completing the block access function.
You clearly didn't listen to what John said.

lucasbytegenius

Just do what my mom did for years when I was a teen - go to sleep with the modem under your pillow. Didn't stop me though - I convinced the neighbors I was taking online classes and got their WiFi password.

On topic though, have you tried specifying an alias name and icon? Maybe this is a badly-designed page and doesn't hint required fields.

1625591428772.png