Home Network

dynoman

im setting a home network to share files through my router.
My 1st computer has xp pro and my 2nd has xp home.
In my network place from my 1st computer i cant see the shared files from my second computer i can see the shared files from my first computer. Anyone know why?

dynoman

i can see the drive from this computer on the other but i cant see the drive from
the other computer on this and i enabled them both for sharing

Dropkickmurphys

hmm, have you reset both of the PC's since setting this up?

sorry for the simple questions, but i have to go though every step.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
But have you actually shared a folder(IE right click on it, or a drive, click properties, sharing, Share this folder)

dynoman

yeah I set them both to the same workgroup, and restarted both computers. When trying to access the other computer from this one i get this messeage:

\\2ndPC is not acessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

Crypto

disable the windows firewall on PC 2. Then try again. The fact that you can see PC 2 on PC 1 is a good thing

Crypto

Is this wired or wireless?

What about the Router Firewall?

Are you able to connect to the internet on both?

Last edited:

dynoman

its wired connection, i havent set up a router firewall so i dont think i have one.
And yeah i am able to connect to the internet.
I tried that program you posted shady. The other computer comes up when i run the computer scan in the ip range but I cant explore the shared folders. I get the same message that i dont have access rights

Crypto

You might want to check the Router configuration. Most new ones come with the firewall set by default.
If this checks out, I would start looking at the NIC card configuration. Is it on Auto Sense (on both) for the connection speed. I assume you ahve standard cat5 ethernet cable connecting them?

In the network Properties, under advanced firewall settings, exceptions page, ensure file sharing is checked.

Last edited:

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
The problem is in the computer with the shared folders that can't be accessed.
Unshare everything on that computer.
reinstall the file and printer sharing protocol on that computer.
Share the folders again.

dynoman

Yeah i checked and there was a firewall. I disabled it and tried it again but still nothing. I even played with all the settings and still nothing.

dynoman

after hours of search i found the solution.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
3. In the right pane, double-click restrictanonymous.
4. Make sure that the value in the Value data box is set to 0, and then click OK.
5. Close Registry Editor.
6. Restart the computer.

Know i can share files back and forth:)
thx for the help

Crypto

That's an interesting solution. Glad you fixed it.
No, your files cannot be seen over the internet.