Home Network

Trizoy

VIP Member
Wrong, they can be seen.
I've done this myself.

They can only be seen if you are on the same network as the person trying to see them.

This means turn your Wireless option on the router off, or put a password with mac address filtering on.

Crypto

Wrong, they can be seen.
I've done this myself.

Well please, enlighten us all. I would love to know how you got behind a wired router and accessed shared folders from the internet? Don't bother explaining if you used tools to hack a network

Trizoy

VIP Member
How old are you?

Leet is a aim type of abreviation for Elite. I thought someone was going to come along and finish with a Haxor on the next post.. We can dream right?

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
They can only be seen if you are on the same network as the person trying to see them.

This means turn your Wireless option on the router off, or put a password with mac address filtering on.

Well please, enlighten us all. I would love to know how you got behind a wired router and accessed shared folders from the internet? Don't bother explaining if you used tools to hack a network

I didn't use any hack tools, I'm afraid I can't explain more because it might be considered breaking the rules, but take it from me... it can be viewed from outside your network. Not in all situations though.
And Crypto, Try to be less sarcastic if someone corrects you because no one knows everything, So try to be positive and learn something new from this situation, I'll be happy if you can correct me at least I'll learn something from you :)
You can do something pretty simple to hide your shared folders from unwanted people on Win XP, just set a password on the guest account and tell it only to the people you want to have access.

Last edited:

Crypto

And Crypto, Try to be less sarcastic if someone corrects you because no one knows everything, So try to be positive and learn something new from this situation, I'll be happy if you can correct me at least I'll learn something from you :)

Maybe you need to check your post which inspired my response!!!
BTW- My post was not one that required a correction, but one that requested an explanation. Which, by the way, you have not done.

Just the fact that you can't explain it due to forum rules, tells me you're doing something you shouldn't be doing.

My response to the original poster was a general NO. We all know our PC's are vulnerable to the parasites that sit out there and try to do things they shouldn't.
Furthermore, if you can access his shared files, I bet he has more worries than just those files, becasue chances are, his entire PC is comprimised.

Crypto

Hey Trizoy, do you think you are still vulnerable even if you have not set up a wireless network ? Wouldn't some level of wireless configuration have to take place in order for your files to be accessed?

Trizoy

VIP Member
A pure wired network with Http access to the router OFF or passworded there is no way to access your shared files.

A wireless network I would recomend a Wep key with Mac address filtering (only specifying the Mac address of computers you want on the network, and disabling the ssid broadcast.)